ddemari
Super Contributor

Moving Forward Strategy and Keeping myself in the Garden

These are my credit cards

Platinum Cap1 MC- opened November 2011 from 300 to 3k

Platinum Cap1 MC- opened February 2012 from 500 to 3k

Platinum Cap1 MC- opened May 2012 from 750 to 4.5k

Platinum Cap1 MC- opened September 2012 from 750 to 4k

(During this time I had a 7 yr old bk reporting and did not know anything about fico scoring, inquires, credit mix etc)

Amazon store card – opened August 2013 600 to 1200, use this card rarely, just enough to generate a statement.

TargetRed Card – opened August 2013 300 limit and wont move! I use this card a lot and PIF monthly that is probably why I cant get an increase.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa – Opened October 2013 originally as 300 dollar secured card, graduated to unsecured in June 2014 and given a 3k limit. I treat this card very well.

Gap Store Card – Opened March 2014 200 limit to 700 limit, I use this card a lot and PIF monthly.

August 2014, after keeping my utilization low, working on my getting negatives removed and bankruptcy gone I went a little app crazy.

Chase Freedom- opened August 2014 3k approval

SallieMae MasterCard - 4k limit

American Express Green card- backdated to 2003.

Quicksilver Visa September 2014 – 3k limit

VentureOne Visa Signature September 2014 – 5k limit

Jcrew Card- October 2014 3.5k limit

TJX card – 300 limit (boo)

I need to garden hardcore, my fico scores are going to tank from the account build up. I am revolving at like 1-3%, maybe a little higher because when SallieMae card came and the paperwork payment date will be 28th of the month and last month they closed the statement on 16th and reported a 600 balance, which I paid in full right after.

Would it be a mistake to close 2-3 of the cap1 platinum cards? Leaving the oldest open though. And the amazon card I rather not use but just do periodically, but since it has no annual fee it does not hurt me. Cap1 always refunds me the annual fees on the plat Mc’s but I don’t need 6-cap1 cards lol.

Thanks for letting me rant!! Any advice is appreciated; I understand gardening is CRUCIAL lol.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Moving Forward Strategy and Keeping myself in the Garden

Close any cards with fees. Unless you think the card is woth the fees.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 6
dursty87
Established Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

Close any cards with fees. Unless you think the card is woth the fees.

+1.  If the cards don't have any fees I wouldn't close them - I would just SD them and use them to buy a pack of gum every 6 months to keep them active.

Message 3 of 6
ddemari
Super Contributor

thanks! i agree, I am going to quit obsessing and just keep paying on time, low utilization and NO MORE APPS. 

It's so weird, I just want to cancel all of the credit monitoring services I have except for the free experian target data breach service and use my cards normally for 6 months, pay the bill before the due date (usually always in full) and let my cards report as if I mailed them a check once a month lol.

then, in 6 months come back and see what my scores are like. 

Message 4 of 6
dursty87
Established Contributor

I don't think I could do that lol no CMS I would dieeee.   I don't have an issue staying in the garden but I couldn't go a day without looking at my CMS.  A few points here, a few points there..

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont know if I could go a day.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.