Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Much tax-lien and civil-judgment data to be removed around July 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Much tax-lien and civil-judgment data to be removed around July 1

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-your-credit-score-may-soon-get-a-boost-2017-03-12

"The three major credit-reporting firms — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — recently decided to remove tax-lien and civil-judgment data starting around July 1, according to the Consumer Data Industry Association, a trade group that represents them. The firms will do so if that data don’t include a complete list of a person’s name, address, as well as a social security number or date of birth.

Many liens and most judgments don’t include all three or four. This change will apply to new tax lien and civil-judgment data that are added to credit reports as well as existing data on the reports.'

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Re: Much tax-lien and civil-judgment data to be removed around July 1

Thanks for that awesome information! I'm reading the article now. I couldnt understand why credit bureaus were able to just attach that information without confirming the person prior to attaching it to your file.

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can i get more information about this

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This must have kicked in quickly. I use Credit Karma to keep an eye on my TransUnion and Equifax scores and Experian app for that one. I had a judgement that was only listed on my TransUnion report but not on the others and it was just there yesterday. I looked today and its gone. My question is this: are the judgements reported in other places that someone might still be able to find if I was trying to rent a house or apartment?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a federal tax lien that got removed from EQ without me needing to report it, however I disputed with TU and EX and neither have removed it yet. Hoping they do.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a judgment on my report that disappeared within the past week.  It was discharged in a bankruptcy 2 years ago.  It could have been due to the creditor agreeing to remove it, or it could have been removed to the new reporting standards, I don't know.  In any case, how can I expect this to affect my score?  Do you think this would boost my score by a few points?  

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The state tax lien that is on my credit did drop of of Experian however it is still showing on Equifax and Transunion.   Will they drop it voluntarily or will I have to contact them?  I don't want to do anything that might negate them dropping it but I need to apply for a mortgage and this will have a big effect.  The lien is due to taxes owed by my ex-husband back in 2005.  I paid mine via my paychecks as usual, he did not.  

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to add that I kind of answered my own question. My husband and I applied to rent a home a couple weeks ago and we were approved. The rental agency didn't find either of the judgements. The only thing she was concerned about was the collection account from the apartments. If I can get that paid and deleted no one will ever realize it. I will be honest and say this is both a bit exciting and terrifying. It's good that it's no longer on my report. But if I'm trying to get things paid off and contact creditors it could restart the timeline. One of the judgements is supposed to come off for good in December 2018 and the other has about 5 years left. I don't want to pay them and then they go back onto my report but listed as paid.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This whole process is frustrating... My lien is satisfied... So far it has been removed from my hubbys EQ & TU and from my EQ.  We are still patiently waiting to see if anything else will be happening or not.  It's extremely frustrating while trying to rebuild. Right now that only bank that will give us credit without it being secured or from a fee based bank is Capital One - I am incredibly grateful however.  I tried to get Disco last year and was declined due to the lien.  I'm hoping it gets dropped so I can apply again and hopefully get approved... 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.