cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Collections for same debt, desputes and more.

tag
misscammiej
New Contributor

Multiple Collections for same debt, desputes and more.

Hello All! Thank you for reading my post, I just stumbled across this website and man I have been missing out. Anyway, my fiance and I are purchasing our first home. We paid down all of our CC debt and got our median score a POINT above what we needed! So, out of no where we get a collection letter from some CA for a debt that is 4 years old. I send them a letter requesting the ACTUAL bill as we have NO clue what this debt is. We sent it certified  Feb 22, no response. This medical debt is for $1116, and is on his credit 3 times. THE EXACT same debt, 3 times with 3 different agencies. So now, his median score is 6 points lower than it needs to be. We called Equifax and they looked and sure enough, its the same debt. We are disputing it. Anyway, here we are set to close June 30th. I am hoping we get it figured out in time.

Has anyone ever suscessfully had multiple collections removed, that were the same debt?? Also, could I add him to one of my 3 year old (good standing) credit cards as an authorized user, would that help at all?? I am just so upset this collection could screw up our loan going through!! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Multiple Collections for same debt, desputes and more.

There should not be 3 collections on this debt.  The debt can be listed twice, once by the OC and once by the CA.  However there cannot be simultaneous listings of multiple CAs listed on the account.  I would send a DV out to the CAs that are listed and contact the OC if that is possible.

Be aware that many lenders will require all dispute comments to be removed before funding the loan.  Just so you know.

Yes, adding him to your card, "if it is in good standing" will benefit him.  He will inherit the attributes of that particular line of credit.  However you should be aware that some lenders will look beyond that information and not factor it in.  So it's a YMMV type of thing.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.