Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Collections with PRA...Approach Question

tag
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

Multiple Collections with PRA...Approach Question

Hello,

I have roughly 6 collections with PRA (i.e., the devil). They are still within SOL (active with PRA approx 3-4 years), and I want to take care of them. They have not hounded me but I am thinking about my future (obtaining mortgage, ect). They are all <1000 and update every month. I have a few questions as I am trying to still get all this wondrful info down.

1. Is the monthly updating tanking my score even further?

2. Should I make a separate call for each account, or try to settle all accounts in one phone call but request a separate written agreement for each account (noting zero balance, paid in full, etc )?

3. I am going to start with offering 25% but they are getting nothing more than 50! How's this sound?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Multiple Collections with PRA...Approach Question

Once the accounts are settled you will see some gain in score over time. The updating everything is hurting you. You can settle all accounts at one time the agent will see all accounts and probably try to get you to do that anyways.

My husband and I had 5 accounts there and we settled all of them and it was a pleasant experience. They sent us everything in writing and also sent us a letter for each account showing we owed them nothing further.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkling You seem to have had a better experience with PRC that we are. Did you speak to them over the phone or was this all in writing. We've sent letters (one per account sent by CMRR) and have had no response whatsoever beyond 2 settlement offers mailed before they got the letters. We paid those settlement in full offers and now have partial payments listed on our CRs. Advice?
Message 3 of 8
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

I think Im going to have to have a drink before dealing with these folks......
Message 4 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Start with what you are willing to give in an offer to them and see where it goes from there. You want to get something done here being that the updating is hurting you.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FDCPA explictly provides that if a debt collector has multiple debts with the same consumer, they must follow any instructions from the consumer as to how any payment shall be applied.  Just make sure you put your directions in writing, and they must follow those instructions.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with an agent on the phone. We talked about each account and settled each one separately in the same conversation. I think there may have been more then one call because my husband and I sat down and ran the numbers before agreeing.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will admit a small hiccup as the 5th account was with the bankruptcy department and applied one of the payments to that instead of the one it was supposed to go to. In the end the account that didn't get paid initially got settled for a really low amount.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.