Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Reselling of Student Loans causing NEG Score Impacts

tag
nma851
Regular Contributor

Multiple Reselling of Student Loans causing NEG Score Impacts

I did my due diligence in hunting for specifically this topic however I do not seem to see it.  

My SL's, which are through the DOE, give me one heck of an AAoA as well as lengthy history.  That is, up until DOE decided to sell it off not once.. not twice.. but SIX!  Yes - it has been resold SIX TIMES in a 2 year period, each time sending my scores down by at least 50 points.  

Now, from my understandings, since the "original" date of the loan has not changed nor should it, the question at hand would be "Why would the new & sucessor lenders continue to place a NEW opened on date?"  Afterall, I have not opened a new account - and other "transferred/sold" accounts (such as regular CC's or Mortgages) do not show this behavior.  They show a "Date Opened" of the original date however reflect a "Reported Since" as of the new date along with a notation of "Transferred/sold".

Upon disputing, they come back as "verified" with one being "updated" to reflect THIS month as the "Opened" date.  

Since I do not want to ding myself with yet another dispute process, I contacted the (last) previous lender & the latest lender directly after the verification came back as correct from both expressing the entire concern in its entirety.  I advised, since the loan "transferred" should, under FCRA, report dates back to 2005 for at LEAST the opened date and the history pulled over.  I can understand reporting it as a "Transferred" and even a "Reported Since", but how can you be reporting this as a NEW account - everything from the Date Opened, Reported Since, Last Payment, & the worst, CLOSED (for the "Transferred From")?

The answer with the lenders are fairly consistent:  While they are "Transferred/Sold", because we acquired them on such & such date, they are NEW to us.  You have no history, et.al. with us so how can we report such?  My argument of the "Date Opened" with the new lender did not change since we are dealing with the same account - not a new account at all while it may be "new" to (you).  As a result of statusing the account as a brand-spanking-new account, with absolutely NO history attached to it, my CR's are literally being inundated with 7 new accounts every single time this process happens.  Furthermore, since they are sold so fast, no history is ever established and all that is being done is damage to me. 

This leaves me with the questions originally posed of Should the "Date Opened" at minimum reflect the SAME date as the original?  Otherwise, this practice, which happens to everyone obviously, is doing nothing more than harming us by giving the CRA's the 'right' to lower our scores based on the number of new accounts opened, the lack of history, the age, etc. etc.  Without any history, and with 7X6=42 NEW ACCOUNTS in 2 years, all this has done is plummet my scores. 

Something just isn't sitting well and I cannot believe I did not catch this sooner.  With ALL the progress i have made, to have THIS type of setback with absolutely no recourse that I know of, simply cannot be legitimate. 

Thanks all for your time & discussions on the matter. Smiley HappySmiley Happy

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Multiple Reselling of Student Loans causing NEG Score Impacts

Date opened is simply the date on which that particular collection agency first opened the account.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 10
nma851
Regular Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

Date opened is simply the date on which that particular collection agency first opened the account.

These are not CA's nor are they in collections at all; these are NEW lenders that are buying my perfectly-paid SL's (and are 100% perfect payment history).  These TL's are reporting as installment Accounts as they should with the exception that the accounts are being treated as brand new without any reference to the "bought from" account. 

The issue, as mentioned in my OP, is that they are NOT listing the actual account that was bought via the "Transfer/Sold" which makes the account brand new (7 times for 7 loans in 2 years), closing them out, losing all that history in the process, and having aboslutely not one shred of history "coming over". 

In other words, in none of these purchases does my payment history dating back to 2005 appear.  Having 7 new accounts re-opened for a total of 42 times in less than 2 years time is crippling me.  

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 3 of 10
nma851
Regular Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

AAoA is being affected BIG time; loss of a 7 year history on 6 accounts to be replaced by 42 brand-new accounts - the math on that speaks for itself as well. 

Payment History is being affected big time due to 3 or 4 payments being made before it's sold again providing NO "steady" payment history.

Overall "credit expierience" or "Mix" is showing me being an "Installment King" while doing nothing more than opening/closing/opening/closing of 42 accounts in less than 2 years all courtesy of the "transferred/sold" nonsense.  

Believe me - I can CLEARLY see the impact it has - especially on a denial citing "Number of New Accounts opened, Insufficient Payment History, Length of Experience w/Installment accounts, Length of Payment History" - there's more & can get the entire plethora of reasons if need be but they all draw the same conclusion:  AAoA plummeted with the 42 new accounts with 3-4 months of history each time.  There is NO good whatsoever in that, citing the 4 reasons I remember off the top of my head above in that denial letter. 

This isn't making any sense as the reporting, at minimum, needs to reflect that while these may be "new" with that particular lender, the experience with, age of, and history with is not new at all.  There is 7-9 years with these just "lost". 

Message 4 of 10
chelton1977
New Visitor

I'm having the exact same issue; my student loans were sold and since for many years, i had no credit cards but paid on my loans, it's wiped clear my "longevity of credit history" and it looks as if I took out a large, new loan which I did not.  My credit score dropped about 40 points when this happened.  Did you ever find a solution to this???  Please Help!

Message 5 of 10
nma851
Regular Contributor

@chelton1977 wrote:

My credit score dropped about 40 points when this happened.  Did you ever find a solution to this???  Please Help!

No one else has replied on this, I have found nothing at all about it, so I'm pretty much at a standstill/loss unless someone with better info on this particular subject chimes in.  

In the meantime, we get to suffer as I've hunted & hunted yet cannot find ANY answer to this whatsoever.  I'm VERY hesitant to even dispute it since that causes me more problems than I already had... 

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

When a SL is resold, the new TL will be added to your CR.  The old ones will stay with all default/lates if there were any.  It doesn't matter how many times it is resold.

The new one will show when they acquired the accont.  And yes, it can do damage by reducing your AAoA.

This is true for any account that sold over and over again, not just a SL.

Message 7 of 10
nma851
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

The old ones will stay with all default/lates if there were any.  It doesn't matter how many times it is resold.

The new one will show when they acquired the accont.  And yes, it can do damage by reducing your AAoA.

This is true for any account that sold over and over again, not just a SL.

Hey Guiness - Hope all is well Smiley Happy

I understand this as you've explained it.  The issue(s) are not only the # of times the same loan is being resold, irrespective that it is an SL, there is no history coming over with it - making not only the appearances of ALL these new loans, but new loans that have derog's attached to them.  Upon the disputing, this is returned as "verified" and accurate.  How could it be accurate whenever the NEW TL does not reflect the TL it came from?  All that has been accomplished is the additon of 42 brand new loans, open/closed in short periods of time, no history being established, & existing history & AAoA being forced down the drain. 

I just cannot "get it" through my head how these YEARS of good history gets obliterated through 42 NEW loans sold, re-sold, & re-sold to the point all that "good" has no ability to outweigh the negativty.  

In my instances, with more than one loan being tacked on, AAoA continues to be hurt improperly & re-aging is occurring.  Yes, I again agree & understand the new ones will have a new "opened on" or "reported since" date, but what I fail to understand nor agree with is "reported since" or "opened on" dates are not corresponding with the originals, therefore causing a de facto state of "Nothing but New" TL's with not one shred of history.  Further, once the old ones are closed out, there is no way to "offset" the MANY YEARS of history/experience with an installment-type TL.  17 years of Installment experience just gets "wiped away" due to 42 re-sells?  

Basically, it boils down to while true, it is a re-sold loan, why is there no reference to all the historical data?  I have other loans, such as my Mortgages, which on the closed loans show "Transferred/Sold" and the NEW ones show the Date Opened as of the acquired date BUT also show "Reported since" (as the) original history.  These, on the other hand, are NOT doing the same as the example I gave.  The same behavior is seen on CC's that are acquired by other banks, get closed, get a new "opened" date, but have an accurate "Reported Since" date.  

It would almost be fair to say that the OC and New lender failed to include the historical data, thus creating a re-aging situation (not necessarily re-aging of derogs), thus negatively & inappropriately affecting AAoA.  If this held true, virutally anyone who has their loan re-sold will never be able to establish a good history/AAoA. 

Maybe I am just not writing this properly...  I am sorry for all the bothering & all the irritations.  I'm not intending to challenge you or the like, but these resells w/o indicating historical data & payment history will make anyone having a 20 year AAoA and 20 years of payment history be lowered & lowered score-wise while being classified as "No Experience" and "# of New Accounts".  One of the other posts in this thread give the exact rationale on the AD letter (...denial citing "Number of New Accounts opened, Insufficient Payment History, Length of Experience w/Installment accounts, Length of Payment History" - there's more & can get the entire plethora of reasons if need be but they all draw the same conclusion:  AAoA plummeted with the 42 new accounts with 3-4 months of history each time....)

Let me know if I am still not explaining this properly or if I'm failing to describe/show the missing pieces of the puzzle.  As always, thank you Guiness.  Smiley Happy 

Message 8 of 10
titanofold
Established Contributor

Well, look at it this way, in a few years time your AAoA is going to be written in stone!

Short term: sucks. Long term: awesome.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 9 of 10
nma851
Regular Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

Short term: sucks. Long term: awesome.

Short Term = NO CAR  Short Term = unless I can figure out an explanation & one that has some proof behind it, we're screwed for NO reason whatsoever.  It's not like the OC is even willing to do anything since it has been out of their hands 5 lenders ago & about all they HAVE done is give me a letter stating that all the SL's I had, for the time I had them WITH them, there was never any derogs.  Getting ANYTHING out of the new ones and/or the CRA's to reflect this properly is anything BUT easy & in the meantime, I get to fight & fight with little to no results.  

Heck I can't even come up with a good argument other than what I've already argued about.  With what I have posted on here, i.e. in rebuttal to the AA letter, they wanted PROOF from every single one - and even then, that is no guarantee I will get this.  

I don't even see how Long-Term will do any good for AAoA since none of them were open longer than 6 months with the shortest being 2 months!!  UGHHHHHHH  it never fails that once I get things up to par, another slew of BS gets thrown at me.  I paid my "7 year dues" and all - did EVERYTHING right afterwards - only to get slapped once again with having to "wait" to have "experience" that I have MORE than enough of but due to a "calculation system" and inaccurate reporting, I'm viewed as a risk due to this "no experience" with Installment Accounts as well as being an habitual "Open/Closer" of accounts.  

You're right it sucks - and it sucks for the WRONG reasons!!!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.