Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Rebuild Journey (so far!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Credit Rebuild Journey (so far!)

Sephiroth0327's Credit Rebuild

Two months ago, I decided it was time to finally buy my first house for myself and my three daugthers.  I went through a divorce last year and was not looking forward to what my credit report would say (I avoided looking at it for too long).  Here is what I found after signing up for MyFICO Premier 3B:

​as of 4/4/2017EquifaxExperianTransUnion
FICO08​600​600​590
Mortage Scores​594​571​600

My Baddies:

• Collections
    • Trident Asset Management (Verizon) - $1360
    • AR Resources (Children's Dental Health) - $999
    • National Collegiate Trust (American Education Services - $15,000 appx - Charged Off Private Student Loans)
    • Transworld Systems - Long story but had 6 accts appearing on Experian only.  These were duplicates of the above NCT private loans when they were with another debt collector for a while - even though Transworld did not hold the debt any longer (and never contacted me), it was still on my Experian credit report
  • Late Payments
    • Capital One CC - 30 Day Late Payment in Oct 2015
    • CFNA (Tires Plus CC) - 60 Day Late Payment in Nov 2015
    • Kay Jewelers CC - 30 Day Late Payment in Sep 2016, Dec 2016
    • Continental Finance CC - 30 Day Late Payment in Jan 2015, Oct 2015
    • Equiant Financial (Timeshare) - 30 Day Late Payment in Oct 2015

My Open Accounts as of 4/4/2017:

Name​Type​Balance​Limit
​Capital One CC​Revolving​$701​$750
​CFNA (Tires Plus CC)​Revolving​$0​$1200
​Kay Jewelers CC​Revolving​$478​$1000
​Continental Finance CC​Revolving​$714​$750
​Wells Fargo Dealer Services (Car)​Installment​$31,443​NA
​Equiant Financial (Timeshare)​Installment​$5818​NA
​US Dept of Education (Student Loan)​Installment​$15,731​NA

Here are the steps I have taken since 4/4/2017:

• Disputed all Transworld collections - All were removed from my credit report!
  • Paid all Credit Cards to $0 except for Capital One, which I paid down to $62
  • Arranged a PFD for both Trident Asset Management and AR Resources collections - they were removed from my credit reports last week!
  • Contacted National Collegiate Trust and worked out a settlement where I paid $11k to fully satisfy the debt.  Credit Report now reflects $0 balance though the item is still there
  • Sent a Goodwill letter to Equiant Financial CEO - the 30 Day Late was removed within 1 week!  I also sent Goodwill letters for all the other late payments but none were adjusted so those still remain
  • Joined NFCU and was approved for a $24k credit card - I made sure to wait for all of the above things to update on my credit report before applying.  This new credit card is now reporting on my credit report

With all of these things being done and having waited for everything to report to the bureaus, I pulled my credit again:

​as of 5/26/2017EquifaxExperianTransUnion
FICO08​676 (+76)​679 (+79)​680 (+90)
Mortage Scores​634 (+40)​683 (+112)​659 (+59)

Now I have a bit more work to do but I am very excited about my progress so far.  My biggest frustration so far is that my credit card balances reported as $0 on 5/19 but then the very next day on 5/20, the dispute results from my April dispute were processed and my Equifax and Transunion credit reports were updated to reflect my old April balances - so for 1 day, they showed 0 and then they reverted back to the previous balances.  I have called Equifax and Transunion multiple times and am told each time they cannot fix the mistake and I just need to wait for the companies to report in June to fix it (or I can dispute it but that would take longer).  So my scores would be a bit higher but I will take what I can get for now.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a mortgage broker to look at getting qualified for a mortgage - perhaps it will make sense to Rapid Rescore to get me the points I should have gotten if not for the Dispute issue above.  I will make sure to post updates here in regards to my rebuild as I make progress with the reamining baddies.  Thank you to everyone here as you al lhave provided me with a lot of knowledge which has helped me greatly in this process.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Rebuild Journey (so far!)

Wow !  You have done some GREAT work in a short amount of time !!   So very excited for you !!    I am also obsessed and not willing to wait a year to up my scores....  I paid off everything, opened a Amex card and a few store cards and am just waiting for the results.     

I sure hope those credit card balances show as being paid in June for you !!    Best of luck with your mortgage.  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the great progress!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple updates: I am fully approved for my first mortgage.  Will be closing on 7/31 - Underwriting is done...just waiting for closing!

Score Update:

6/29/2017 - 677 (EQ) / 673 (TU) / 677 (EX) - FICO08

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!  All the prep work you did before applying for the mortgage will probably save you tens of thousands of dollars in the future!!  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.