cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FIRST App Spree!! (Success--I think...Yippee!) *NEWBIE POST* Should I app for 1 more!?

tag
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

My FIRST App Spree!! (Success--I think...Yippee!) *NEWBIE POST* Should I app for 1 more!?

Hello all!

I have been reading thousands (it seems) of posts for the past 2 days, trying to figure out what I need to do to 1) Build my credit score and 2) Get new credit so I can have some nice balances soon in the future (Ang get a mortgage by 2015). From all of my reading I discovered "app sprees" and "gardening." I looked into these subjects more and thought well, I never consciously did either, so maybe this will be a good place to begin my trek up the credit mountains (check the avi).

I am hoping to hear some advice and feedback regarding what I am about to share!!!! Please don't be shy. Smiley Happy

To make a looonnggggg story short here are some facts:

1) I am a 26 yo marketing professional. Pretty decent income, less than 100K, more than 50.

2) According to CK (I know its a fako)

-My TU score is 598. (HAS to be wrong...you'll see why in a moment.)--UPDATE It was actually 651 at time of application. HUGE difference from FAKO

-I have 83 percent credit utilization (I know....)

-Average account age 4 years 7 months w oldest open account 8 years old (average actually dropped due to some student loan consolidating)

- total accounts- 31 (I have a LOT of student loans), 197K to be exact
 (I got my masters and went to law school for a semester to figure out I didn't want to be a lawyer)

-26K balance for 2 auto loans (1 lease, 1 purchase)

-Neiman Marcus Card- 500 limit

-Capital One secured card (2 years old) with 750 limit

- I have an old (1 yr 2 mo) collections account (misunderstanding with the Gas co when I moved.) that was paid in full the same month it reported.

- I have a very old Chase credit account that I got when I was 20 (originally opened at 2000 CL and was maxed out as a down payment for a VW). This card was closed a while ago on me (long story) but still reports. I began paying this off with the help of Take Charge America a couple years ago. Now I only owe a little less than 600 on it before it is PIF. I plan to pay this off ASAP.

- NO credit apps for a LONG time, I'd say, 2 years. (Besides when I was car shopping in 2011 and early 2012). My Experian report says NO inquiries past 12 months. CK says 17 HP inquiries reporting (already including 4 of my spree inquiries).

*According to mycreditinform.com (Experian) my fako is 632. I only pulled true FICO on myFICO for Equifax- and it is a 644.

Phew. Smiley Tongue So now that all of that is out the way, let me tell you about my spree that began 11/09. I was inspired to apply for credit when I received a preapproval for the NFCU Flagship Mastercard. When I researched it I was like wow, it looks like a great card! I had also been receiving lots and lots of Citi card prescreened offers over the past 2 months. I figured perhaps I have a chance. (Even though monthly for the past year I get fako score updates that are way less than stellar!)

Here is how the order of my app spree went:

1) 11/09 (processed 11/10 ET) NFCU Flagship MC- Result= 24 hour notice. Have not done a recon yet or called them because of the holiday, I figure I will try to call them 11/11.

2)early 11/10 Amazon Store Card-  Approved 700 CL (tried recon w underwriter on CL- no success)

3) early 11/10 Walmart Store Card- Approved 700 CL (tried recon on CL- no success)

(at this point I got excited, but then I read AFTER that store cards don't help as much as bank ones so I got to itching.)

4) early 11/10 I applied for the Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard- Approved 500 CL (no recon attempt for CL yet.)

5) I then went about the day. But I think I became OBSESSED and kept wondering- 4 apps...is this a weak spree? Could I do better, etc.....SO I then (late 11/10) quickly pulled the trigger on the Discover IT student app. (I recently graduated from a program, want to see if I could still get it). Result- 3-7 day notice. No chance to call or recon yet because I applied right after business hours ended. I will be calling 11/11.

6) Final app- The Citi Diamond Preferred Card. I was nervous for this app because everywhere I read about this card it stated you needed "Excellent credit." But, I was very very itchy (Smiley LOL) and I had a tiny bit of hope because the most recent Citi preapproval I received was for this card, just a couple of weeks ago. I found the letter under my bed, opened it, and applied! Result: APPROVED for 2K. Yay!

That is all of the info I have about my spree for now. I don't know what exact scores were pulled yet because I haven't received anything in the mail (or my email). My HP's were already reported (I got a CK notification) for 4 of my apps. I know I should be done, but I am really eyeing a Nordstrom card before I head to the garden!!!! (I want a wonderful AMEX sometime next year if possible!!!) Should I try for the Nordies now before I take all the bullets out the gun!??

Well, that is all for now. So fire away!

-MJ

2/26/15: TU Fico (BarclayCard)- 721
2/18/15: EQ (CK)- 668
2/26/15: EX (EX.com)- 706

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: My FIRST App Spree!! (Success--I think...Yippee!) *NEWBIE POST* Should I app for 1 more!?

Congrats on the approvals and good luck on the pending apps! I would turn around and run for the garden as fast as possible! Thats already 4 new accounts and one of them being Barclays who is inquiry/new account sensitive. Let those accounts age for 6 months to a year and then go after something you want. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: My FIRST App Spree!! (Success--I think...Yippee!) *NEWBIE POST* Should I app for 1 more!?

Congrats on your successful spree 

Good luck on the pending apps 

Now as mentioned in the post above Garden Garden Garden

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 11
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys!!!

Discover It was a no-go (I figured). They offered me a secured card because of my really old baddies. Navy Federal- Platinum card was approved for 5K at 12 percent APR! Not bad to start. I have 4 goodwill letters going out today so I am soon to be in the green again in about 6-12 months I hope. I realized I have some quick repairs I could have done prior to my apping, but I am pretty ok with a 5 outta 6 today! Smiley Happy

To the garden!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

Thanks guys!!!

Discover It was a no-go (I figured). They offered me a secured card because of my really old baddies. Navy Federal- Platinum card was approved for 5K at 12 percent APR! Not bad to start. I have 4 goodwill letters going out today so I am soon to be in the green again in about 6-12 months I hope. I realized I have some quick repairs I could have done prior to my apping, but I am pretty ok with a 5 outta 6 today! Smiley Happy

Keep up the good work and see you in the garden

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

Thanks guys!!!

Wow you did great! See you in the garden!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

Thanks guys!!!

I didn't even know Discover offered a secured card, any details on that? Thanks!

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 11
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

Scupra, this is th email they sent me:

"We are pleased to offer you a no annual fee Discover Secured Credit Card.

To complete your application, please click on _________ by 11/13/2013."

I did a tiny bit of research and I couldn't find any info. So I clicked on the link to see what it would say and I got this message:

"Thank you for considering a Discover Card.

Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application at this time. In 7-10 days you'll get a letter from us explaining why."

I did more research, and it looks like Discover does have a secured card, called Matrix.By the looks of it, doesn't sound too good. I think I will pass and just reapply when I have cleaned up my report.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Matrix-Secured-Credit-Card-by-Discover/td-p/1421506

Message 8 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

@ladyMJ wrote:

Scupra, this is th email they sent me:

"We are pleased to offer you a no annual fee Discover Secured Credit Card.

To complete your application, please click on _________ by 11/13/2013."

I did a tiny bit of research and I couldn't find any info. So I clicked on the link to see what it would say and I got this message:

"Thank you for considering a Discover Card.

Unfortunately, we are unable to approve your application at this time. In 7-10 days you'll get a letter from us explaining why."

I did more research, and it looks like Discover does have a secured card, called Matrix.By the looks of it, doesn't sound too good. I think I will pass and just reapply when I have cleaned up my report.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Matrix-Secured-Credit-Card-by-Discover/td-p/1421506

How odd haha! Matrix is just on the Discover network, not actually a Discover product though. I was just curious Smiley Happy Congratulations on the approvals! Discover is my goal card :/ Someday!!!

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 9 of 11
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

Thanks!!

And I see! That is very odd!! I am going for it again next year! Maybe I can recon a month after the fact? I already fixed the errors (collections) and got them removed from my credit report so maybe they will consider me very soon! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.