Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Journey

I have actively been on my journey to repair my credit for the past month. It's been a great way to put my OCD tendencies to productive use lol. I began using Credit Karma initially just to get an idea of where I stood with my accounts. I took the scores with a grain of salt, but the free reports was great. Then I found this forum and I've become obsessed with all the great knowledge everyone has, and it's an absolute godsend with all the answers to the many questions that have popped up for me. I was also able to sign up at CCT to get my FICO8 scores which currently stand at- Equifax 524, Experian 553 Transunion 536. Just months ago I would have been completely ashamed to put those numbers out there for everyone to see, but this forum has given me the courage to face it and put my efforts to remedying them. When they start to rise the satisfaction will be the biggest benefit. The content of my reports:

Experian: 5 lates (plan is to GW these), 2 collections ( 1 paid-before I was aware of PFD, 1 $832, sent DV on this one to start) 7 inquiries (5 fall off next year)

Equifax: 10 lates (yikes) 4 collections (2 same as above, plus 2 more both paid/1 of which the OC said they would recall from CA) 9 inquiries (6 fall off next year)

Transunion: 5 lates, 2 collections (same 2 as Experian), 6 inquiries (4 fall off next year)

My plan off attack is to first pay off any collection items remaining with a balance. Including 2 charged off cards (CapOne & FirstPremier before they are assigned to a CA), then work on GW letters to clear the lates. After the collections are done i'll work on getting a few secured cards to improve my revolving credit lines. I already have current student loans for the installment aspect. Any suggestions on approach is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Journey

@Anonymous wrote:

I have actively been on my journey to repair my credit for the past month. It's been a great way to put my OCD tendencies to productive use lol. I began using Credit Karma initially just to get an idea of where I stood with my accounts. I took the scores with a grain of salt, but the free reports was great. Then I found this forum and I've become obsessed with all the great knowledge everyone has, and it's an absolute godsend with all the answers to the many questions that have popped up for me. I was also able to sign up at CCT to get my FICO8 scores which currently stand at- Equifax 524, Experian 553 Transunion 536. Just months ago I would have been completely ashamed to put those numbers out there for everyone to see, but this forum has given me the courage to face it and put my efforts to remedying them. When they start to rise the satisfaction will be the biggest benefit. The content of my reports:

Experian: 5 lates (plan is to GW these), 2 collections ( 1 paid-before I was aware of PFD, 1 $832, sent DV on this one to start) 7 inquiries (5 fall off next year)

Equifax: 10 lates (yikes) 4 collections (2 same as above, plus 2 more both paid/1 of which the OC said they would recall from CA) 9 inquiries (6 fall off next year)

Transunion: 5 lates, 2 collections (same 2 as Experian), 6 inquiries (4 fall off next year)

My plan off attack is to first pay off any collection items remaining with a balance. Including 2 charged off cards (CapOne & FirstPremier before they are assigned to a CA), then work on GW letters to clear the lates. After the collections are done i'll work on getting a few secured cards to improve my revolving credit lines. I already have current student loans for the installment aspect. Any suggestions on approach is greatly appreciated.

Good that you are starting to work on your scores.

Many of us, myself included, started in the 400 range, and the reason we're in the rebuilding section in the first place is because we had problems, so you are in great company.  Nothing to be ashamed about here, and you wont be lonely!

I high lighted the sentence above - I had the same thoughts when I started rebuilding and I kind of regret them now.   Your credit history and your credit utilization are two separate sections of the Fico scoring and they can and should be worked on at the same time.  I tried to clear up past problems before looking for any new CCs and I think that set me back quite a bit. 

The only reason I would think of for not doing both at the same time is if funds are very limited and you can only do one small step at a time.

If at all possible, I recommend trying for secured CCs now.  You can get a secured CC from Opensky for 200 with no credit check. You can also get a great deal at State Department Federal CU with a 500 secured deposit.  You can get a 500 secured installment loan for 36 months and repay it at less than 15 a month.  Then, with the proceeds of the loan, you can make a secured deposit to get a 500 CC.  That would satisfy the credit mix portion of the Fico scoring and also get another secured CC with a great CU.  If you have a clear Chexsystems report, they will allow your membership.  Check the 'who can join' link for membership options.

You really need at least 3 CCs for the scoring system, so maybe take a break for a month or two to let new cards report, then try for the third one.  Cap1 has a prequal site, and app for the Platinum CC when available.

So if funds can be available, work on both sections at the same time.

GL, and HTH

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the input! I will go ahead and try to get at least 2 secured cards. I'm not sure yet on taking out the loan, I would prefer to work on lowering some of my current debt first. Maybe in another few months I will look into doing that. I don't think I would be approved for secured CC lines through CapOne or BoA right now since they are currently listed on my CR. Are there any other options out there like OpenSky that don't do credit checks?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks so much for the input! I will go ahead and try to get at least 2 secured cards. I'm not sure yet on taking out the loan, I would prefer to work on lowering some of my current debt first. Maybe in another few months I will look into doing that. I don't think I would be approved for secured CC lines through CapOne or BoA right now since they are currently listed on my CR. Are there any other options out there like OpenSky that don't do credit checks?

this is a sticky thread at the top of this forum and inside is a link to a chart of some secured cards:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Helpful-Rebuilding-Threads/td-p/224981

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update!

Experian 575, Equifax 550, TU 535 (changes haven't shown up yet)

I'm so excited about this first jump! My student loan was finally updated to current that I rehabbed right when I started this journey. One of my collections also was updated to paid. Next week I'll be paying off at least one of those cards so that should give me another small boost.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI I just got approved for a CreditOne card 300 cl. I now it's not much but it's my first approval in a year!
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ashcake, welcome and congrats on your progress so far.  My hubby and I are rebuilding too and when we just started we both applied for those OpenSky secured cards. If you still need another card, the process was easy and no problem so far. The accounts started reporting quickly and we both got a nice little bump on scores. They don't pull your credit so that is one of the reasons we went with them. Thought I'd mention it in case you still need another card.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I will be applying for the OpenSky next week. Hopefully these two cards will get me over the 600 mark and I will get a decent third card to round it out
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

More small positive steps being made! I paid off the capital one charge off today and also opened a fingerhut freshstart account. That will now give me two new open revolving accounts. I'm waiting for all the updates to hit all three CR's before applying for my third. One collection fell off equifax as well! Next plan of attack is to pay off the first premier card CO and start GW the heck out of those accounts with lates
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: just got my last collection removed from TU! Down to one on Eq and Ex. It has been paid but Penn Credit is not budging on the delete. Paid off the cap one CO and fingerhut hit my reports so I am now at 594 on EX. Will refresh the other reports on Sunday! Still waiting on Credit One to report as well. I can't believe the progress in only two months since starting my rebuild. Just motivated so much to continue the improvement. Also I sent another GW to cap one to remove the CO, waiting to hear back from EO. Will try the same with First Premier but have heard they are tough to crack. Anyone had success with them?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.