Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit rebuilding story...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit rebuilding story...

After a fall down in 2008-2009, I had a hard road to go..in 2012, I stared with steady income. I was $13500 in debt and had at least eight delinquent accounts on my record.

Immediately I started paying off all the debt and delinquent accounts because I wanted to get my credit back in the 700s where it was. At this point my credit score was 505.

After paying everything in full, I applied for first premiere bank card with a $75 deposit in January 2013 which gave me $300 in available credit. I had to start somewhere.

After 8 months went by I received an offer in the mail for a $1000 Merrick card which I didn't think was real because I assumed there was no way I could get credit back that quickly. I went online and sure enough it was real.

From there, I applied for everything and anything I wanted as far as cards. I wasn't thinking too clearly because most of my applications were for retail cards instead of credit cards. However, I was ecstatic to see so many approvals. About 20 in one night. Excessive, I know.

About 5 months later, I went credit card shopping again and was approved for an additional 20-25 cards all on the same night. Ecstatic again, I was.

A few months later, I applied for a car loan and was approved for $28,000. So happy, again!

Since then I applied for a few more accounts and ended up with a total of 60 accounts which includes my student loan. So I thought to myself that since a lot of my lines of credit were small, I would see how I could increase those limits.

I found that using some of these cards just once for a small purchase, gave me an increase the very next month.

So I went from $250 to $450. I learned at this time that some of the cards would approve an increase twice immediately as long as I didn't log out of the system. And since then I realized that duplicate HP from the same company were removed so in essence, I had nothing to lose my clicking that button again after being approved. That trick still works and many of those cards are now over $2000 CL.

Other cards were not so easy to get an increase from which shouldn't be surprising after over 80 inquiries piled up. However, even more surprising--I still get CLI's. Many automatic and many manually tried for.

So my goal is/was to get my available credit above $50,000...with all of these accounts I figured why not see how high I can grow these accounts without utilizing them much and not spending an arm and a leg.

I freely admit, I have an addiction. It's not a shopping addiction, it's a credit card addiction.

So my score jumped from 505 in January 2013 to 696 in May of 2015. Very exciting this is for me!

I am at the point now where I just want to be selective about cards. The philosophy for some cards is the more you use them the more increases you get. Others try to fish by giving you higher limits in hopes that you will use them.

In the beginning I kept my utilization around 3%. Now it is at 14% which is rather high. By using more credit, my score dropped down to 667. So. I am interested in getting these paid in full to see if u can increase my score above 700. However some of my score is being brought down by all of the inquiries on my record.

Most recent I have received several credit limit increases and I am excited to see what July is going to bring my FICO score. I'm hoping for a good solid jump Smiley Happy

Any advice and comments or questions are certainly welcome! I am very open and very interested to see what more I can do at this point in moving my score about 700 once again!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: My credit rebuilding story...

Congrats and great job on getting your credit back on track.  You have done an awesome job rebuilding. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My credit rebuilding story...

Thank you! Smiley Happy I appreciate that. I'm still working on it and waiting for some of those negatives to fall off as well as the many inquiries. I have over 20 coming off in Sept. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.