cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit story! Finally after so long got approved for a unsecured credit card

tag
finsfan07

My credit story! Finally after so long got approved for a unsecured credit card

Well first and foremost I gotta say Ive been looking at this forum from the very start of my rebuilding process. Thanks everyone for the great community you have build here. Now lets get started lol.

Let me say over the years since Ive turned 18 (I'm now 25) Ive applied many times for credit cards and have always been declined! Well On March 5th, 2013 I decided to apply for a credit card along with my wife. We went to bank of America and she was approved for $2000, I in the other was declined. I then decided to get a secured card ($500 I deposited) at the suggestion of the bank clerk, without doing any research. I then found this forum and read a lot about everything, pulled up my credit report and learned I had 2 accounts in collection and 5 hard inquiries.

I then waited 2 months and went ahead and applied for a Sony capital one credit card (I wanted a ps4)and was declined. I then decided to open a secured card through them and put $49 down and they gave me a $200 limit.

One thing I knew that was also hurting me was the age of history and my low credit limits. So I then had my wife add me as an authorize user to her jared credit card that is 3 years old and has a $3200 limit with $0 balance.

Since then ive been patient and saw 1 account in collection fall off my credit report and had my hard inquires drop to 3. Earlier this month to my surprise my bank of America secure card became unsecured! Also my capital one credit limit was increased from $200 to $300. So I knew my credit was improving. 

Yesterday while I was at bestbuy I saw PS4 in stocks, and from the very beginning ive told myself I would get a ps4 when my credit improved, that was my motivation. So I said what the heck lemme apply for the best buy card given through citi bank. I proceeded to go a cashier and told her I was wanting to open a credit card account. She then asked me my information and also asked what credit limit amount I wanted. I said 500 dollars! After giving her some more information, she told me she was waiting to see if I was approved and lord and behold I was! And for $2000! I was so excited, Ive been decline so many times in my life that it was honestly a great feeling! I then went and bought my ps4! Smiley Very Happy 

To finish it off, in less then a year I have turned around my credit! Goodluck to all the other guys and gals starting off (trying to turn it around) too, have faith and soon you'll be making too!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My credit story! Finally after so long got approved for a unsecured credit card

Snoopy-Happy-Dance.jpg  Happy dance!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

Re: My credit story! Finally after so long got approved for a unsecured credit card

I'm just hoping my wait isnt as long as yours lol!

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 3 of 6
JYKim1
New Contributor

Nice! Get your game on

Starting Score: EQ: 565 EX: 572 TU: 571
Current Score: EQ: 587 EX: 643 TU: 610
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!!!!

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 5 of 6
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.