Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit story

It has taken me over fifteen years, but I have finally rebuilt my credit to a "very good" rating. Part of that time I spent in ignorance, thinking my only option was to "wait it all out." I learned the hard way that that was a mistake - errors on my report and outright fraud perpetrated by collection agencies, "factoring companies", tricks and intimidation on the phone, re-aging accounts, lack of history and lack of good credit... you name it, all of it worked their magic at my (literal) expense.

I was powerless, watching debts from way beyond the statute of limitations sit for years on my credit reports, with no apparent recourse. I only learned two years ago about this website and I have spent hours reading and re-reading the stories here, the questions and answers, the letters and strategies to use. It is thanks to this site that I have managed to stop inadvertantly playing into the credit sharks' hands and learned how to advance my own interests.. how to protect myself... how to understand how it all works.  In those two years, I went from an average of 534 score to my current 747. A lot of the baddies were old, but due to my previous naivete, all of them were devastating to my credit, and several were illegally kept on my report long past time when they should have been.

I went through all the things suggested here: writing disputes, PFDs, keeping CMRRR receipts, secured cards workng my way up to bottom-feeder cards, and then one day in a flash of MyFico insight, realized that I must treat credit cards not as a relaxation and expansion of buying power, but as "the credit slaves that they are." (Thank you, thank you, whichever moderater wrote that post.)

So here I am now, in the admittedly enviable position of finally having a GOOD credit score. In one more month, the very last "late" will fall off my report, I will owe no more than the usual monthly $9.53 Netflix charge, and I anticipate my score going up further, since I am still using those bottom-feeder cards with low credit limits and I just paid off the last $1000, which was hurting my utilization.

My next move is to apply for a "real" credit card - one with a decent credit limit. I am anxious about it - I still hold over those old "loser" feelings I guess. I don't know what to expect - I am hoping to qualify for one finally, and I see no Fico reason why not... but am scared to let go of the crappy cards that led up to this point. My question to all of you is, what is the best way now to go about closing the old accounts - the ones with horrendous fees (both yearly and monthly) and ridiculous interest rates? I am not used to operating from a position of strength... what should I ask for (demand?) Can I expect those predatory companies (First Premier, Orchard, HSBC, etc) to convert me to anything decent?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My credit story

Nobody has anything to say at all???

Message 2 of 4
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Congrats!

I'm doing something similar for my wife, which I think will basically run it's course in about a year.

With respect to the CCs, as far as I can tell, First Premier has nothing prime to offer you. The first chance you have at getting rid of them -- I'd say 30 days after getting a prime card opened -- I would. They are abusive and have way too high of fees to be worth keeping once you are in the 700 club.

I don't know much about Orchard, but HSBC offers some prime cards like the GM Flexible Earnings Card (and the Platinum GM Flexible Earnings Card). You might be able to get a product switch to one of these prime cards (which if you're paying an annual fee, would be good), but they won't increase your credit limit. I personally have scores in the 790-810 range, no baddies at all, have had my card with them for 10 years and I can't get a CLI at all on my $300 limit.

From the sounds of it, you should be able to get most credit cards right now -- just make sure that a small balance (less than 9%) is reporting on at least one card before you PIF before the due date so that you don't look completely unprofitable to some card issuers for lack of use.

I suggest that you try the credit card forums for card suggestions, weigh the benefits of each card, and manage you inquires by knowing which CRA is going to be pulled for the app -- some card issuers only pull one CRA (eg, Amex usually only pulls Experian, Chase usually pulls Equifax -- though they also pulled Experian when they opened my wife's CC).

Good luck, and congrats again.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

With your improved credit score, the first thing I would investigate is a credit union.  Most offer sold cards, many of them bank cards, that are not at the low-feeder end.

Good rates, no fees, and more personal service.  YOu would have to open a checking, and preferably also a savings, account with them before applying for their offered credit cards, but that would be my first area of investigation.

Do you belong to a CU, or qualify for any in your area?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.