cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My debts weren't sent to collections... Should I not worry about them?

tag
Objectivist
Valued Member

My debts weren't sent to collections... Should I not worry about them?

2 years ago I wasn't able to pay a storage unit facility and an insurance company. The insurance was cancelled soon afterwards and my storage locker privilages taken away. Well now that I'm into credit and value my good score in the mid 700's I'm worried they will report me to collections. I'm going to pay them back, but I don't even remember the name of the insurance company. Do you think if they were going to collect they would have done it by now?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My debts weren't sent to collections... Should I not worry about them?

To tell the truth, that is really unknown.  You could never see anything from them, or you could have them pop up at almost anytime.  I would suggest that you watch your CRs and monitor for any new activity.  You could actively go looking to pay them, but then again, you could be poking the bear and wake them up.   

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 12
KnewBee
New Contributor

Op, I work in insurance, most insurers do not report. Only a few do. Hope that helps.

Starting Scores: 9/19/2012 EQ 613 / TU 526 / EX 543
Current Scores: EQ 716 TU 724 EX 724 Goal Scores: 700
Message 3 of 12
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Objectivist wrote:

2 years ago I wasn't able to pay a storage unit facility and an insurance company. The insurance was cancelled soon afterwards and my storage locker privilages taken away. Well now that I'm into credit and value my good score in the mid 700's I'm worried they will report me to collections. I'm going to pay them back, but I don't even remember the name of the insurance company. Do you think if they were going to collect they would have done it by now?

Well, if they were to collect, they'd usually send a dunning prior to reporting..

I said usually Smiley Wink

But yeah, they still very well might try to collect, you just don't know.. I would pull my credit reports straight from the CRAs and see if there are any soft pulls that you don't recognize..

I wouldn't worry TOO much tho; 

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 12
KnewBee
New Contributor

Actually I don't think storage companies usually collect either. They normally just auction off the stored goods ala. storage wars.........

Starting Scores: 9/19/2012 EQ 613 / TU 526 / EX 543
Current Scores: EQ 716 TU 724 EX 724 Goal Scores: 700
Message 5 of 12
Objectivist
Valued Member

@KnewBee wrote:

Actually I don't think storage companies usually collect either. They normally just auction off the stored goods ala. storage wars.........

Yeah I heard that they needed to get a court order, however, which does report to the bureous...luckily, I took all my stuff out.

Message 6 of 12
Objectivist
Valued Member

@Shogun wrote:

To tell the truth, that is really unknown.  You could never see anything from them, or you could have them pop up at almost anytime.  I would suggest that you watch your CRs and monitor for any new activity.  You could actively go looking to pay them, but then again, you could be poking the bear and wake them up.   

Yeah you nailed my biggest fear...This is why I'm not talking to them each until I have money in hand. 

Message 7 of 12
Booner72
Senior Contributor

OPT OUT. This may help a JDB from easily finding you.

I opted back in a few months back to see what cc offers I'd get. Guess what I got? An OOOOLLLLDDDD utility bil (way past SOL) from AFNI. Took me a month to get it off. Boy, I was so mad at myself.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 12
Objectivist
Valued Member

@Booner72 wrote:
OPT OUT. This may help a JDB from easily finding you.

I opted back in a few months back to see what cc offers I'd get. Guess what I got? An OOOOLLLLDDDD utility bil (way past SOL) from AFNI. Took me a month to get it off. Boy, I was so mad at myself.

Can you explain this like I'm 5, please?

Message 9 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Go to www.optoutprescreen.com and opt out of pre-approved offers.  The reason to to this is because the CRAs sell the information for those that are applying for mortgages or are clearing up their reports to the CAs.  Then the CAs go sniffing around for old debts.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.