Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first GW - Disaster

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: My first GW - Disaster

@Jane_Eyre wrote:

Scott, thank you so much for your advice.  I just pulled this PFD off the sticky thread here and changed a few things and emailed it to the law firm.  I did also send a friendly and informal email to the management company offering to pay the same amount.  You are right though, I am at their mercy and I know it.  I DID pay that damage deposit, but unfortunately, this was the first apartment I had ever moved into and I did not save any proof of it all those years ago in 2001 when I moved in.  If they don't accept this offer, I guess i will have no other option but to make payments until it is paid in full.  I screwed this up in so many ways.. I should have never sent them a letter in the first place and "woken the sleeping giant." before the SOL was up.  I have a lot more reading to do to try to figure all this out it looks like Smiley Sad

Jane

Many of these sample letters are very old. 2009 and older. Lots of opinions have changed in the past couple years..

And many of us have varying degrees of opions on how to handle debt and accounts, so I am sure others will have different opinions. This is just mine; so take it for what it is worth.

However, try not to stress out about it. They might ignore your letter, or offer a settlement, or somewhere in between.

The worst case scenerio is they sue you. Then you worry about it at that time. For now, see how the letters play out, and react accordingly.

So when did you actually move out of this apartment complex?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 11 of 15
Jane_Eyre
Established Member

Right, hopefully they make a counter offer rather than just sueing me.  Am I right that they would have to serve me in California and take me to court here?

I moved out in 2009.  I suppose since I offered to pay on the debt that the DOFD will now be updated as well.  *sigh*

Jane

Message 12 of 15
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Jane_Eyre wrote:

Right, hopefully they make a counter offer rather than just sueing me.  Am I right that they would have to serve me in California and take me to court here?

I moved out in 2009.  I suppose since I offered to pay on the debt that the DOFD will now be updated as well.  *sigh*

Jane

No, that is not true. The DOFD will not change if you make an offer to pay on a collection account. The DOFD is a concrete date.

What CA is it with?  Is it local or or is a bigger one.... do you know yet if this is assigned debt or sold debt? Apartment complexes often will assign the debt..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 13 of 15
Jane_Eyre
Established Member

Oh well that is good news at least!!

I am really confused about who owns the debt.  On my credit report it is listed as River Collections, with the original creditor being the apartment complex.  Afrer writing my "goodwill" letter or what ever it was, I got a response that included a copy of that said letter, from Como Law Firm.  I am at a complete loss as to who I should even be trying to contact or pay at this point!

Jane

Message 14 of 15
Jane_Eyre
Established Member

BTW, I am reading HORRIBLE things about Como Law Firm from reviews on the web and how they are extremely rude and refuse to settle.  It looks like this is going to be worse than I thought.

Jane

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.