cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first post -- question on credit report item

tag
doingmybest

My first post -- question on credit report item

I have been working on rebuilding credit, slowly but surely, by getting accounts paid for and disputing items.  I am signed up for credit monitoring and have a secured card from Capital One.  I am making steady progress...but now I want to ramp it up.  Hubby and I would like to purchase a home in about 2 years -- so we need to really focus on increasing our credit score (currently 567).

This month, I thought I would start with adding each other as an authorized user on our CapOne Secured Cards (we each have one) and working on one of the negative items on the report: Sam's Club card.

This was an account that went past due for a while (husband lost job...more than once) and I finally paid it off, but not the full amount (settled it).  What should I do?  The info for Equifax is wrong -- so do I dispute that?  And then write a goodwill letter?  Do I send the goodwill letter to the address on the credit report?

Thanks for any help -- really appreciate it!  I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have without all the great advice on the board; I have been reading, just not posting, since February Smiley Happy

This is what my credit report says

Experian -- nothing reported

Equifax:

Account Status - Closed

Mo Payment $494

Past Due $35

Payment Status Bad debt & placed for collection & skip

High Balance $824

Comments CHARGED OFF ACCOUNT, ACCOUNT CLOSED BY CREDIT GRANTOR

TransUnion:

Account Status - Closed

Mo Payment 

Past Due $0

Payment Status Payment after charge off/collection

High Balance $481

Limit $0

Comments Settled; less than full balance

Starting Score: EX 541
Current Score: EX 567 EQ 563 TU 605
Goal Score: 610 Across the Board
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
lae_lae
Regular Contributor

Re: My first post -- question on credit report item

That would be my plan.  Dispute the balance then write a GW letter.  Yes, send the GW letter to the address on your CR.  If after a couple of rounds of GW doesn't work, try sending an email to the executives at Sam's Club/Walmart.

Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I would start the GW process first.  You wouldn't want to dispute and then GW.  If the GW route didn't work, then you could try a direct dispute.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
doingmybest

Thanks for the help -- I have a couple more questions...

My credit report doesn't list the full account number for my Sam's Club account (it was closed in 2011 and I don't have the account number in my files).  the credit report lists a partial number -- what do I put on the GW letter?

Also -- I know to use the address on the CR, but what name do I put on the envelope?

Thanks!  

Starting Score: EX 541
Current Score: EX 567 EQ 563 TU 605
Goal Score: 610 Across the Board
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Go with the partial account number on your CR.

No name would go on the envelope.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.