cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first question...ready for your advice!

tag
zan987
New Contributor

My first question...ready for your advice!

I am getting a small bonus at work this week and I am trying to decide which debt I should pay off that would have the greater impact to my credit score.

I owe roughly $2400 on my Citibank (sears) card @ 24.25 interest rate

The payoff on my car loan is $2425 @ 17.25 interest rate...I know that is very high but I needed a vehicle very badly.Smiley Embarassed

I know you always hear that you should pay the higher interest first, but wasn't sure if that would be true in this scenario. 

Any advice would be  greatly appreciated!!

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: My first question...ready for your advice!

@zan987 wrote:

I am getting a small bonus at work this week and I am trying to decide which debt I should pay off that would have the greater impact to my credit score.

@I owe roughly $2400 on my Citibank (sears) card @ 24.25 interest rate

@Anonymous payoff on my car loan is $2425 @ 17.25 interest rate...I know that is very high but I needed a vehicle very badly.Smiley Embarassed

I know you always hear that you should pay the higher interest first, but wasn't sure if that would be true in this scenario. 

Any advice would be  greatly appreciated!!

If you are looking to boost your FICO score, then pay down your credit card.   Installment debt %utilization is not a significant part of FICO scoring.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 15
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Although a little more info is needed to be 100% thorough, as long as you're not behind on either of the two accounts, pay the credit card down.  That CC is counting toward your overall utilization of revolving credit.  The car loan is a scheduled monthly payment, which has no bearing on an immediate change in score.

So if you take that bonus, apply it to your credit card balance, you will see an immediate increase in score.  Typically we've found 1% of utilization = ROUGHLY 1 point.  So if you pay 1000 in credit cards and that constitutes 30% of your overall CC balance, you may see a score increase of AROUND 30 points.  Trust me, pay CC first!!!!!!

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have always heard the same.  Pay off the bill with the highest interest rate. 

Message 4 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Also, once you pay down the credit card you might be able to use some of the payments that you would have sent to it towards your auto loan.  

And even though your interest rate is high, the balance is low so that is very good ~ hopefully you can get it paid down soon as well.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

Pay the credit card. The interest keeps compounding on whatever balance you have.

The interest on the loan is already fixed, it'll be the same whether you pay more or less, unless you paid it off in full (which seems to be what you want to do)... but still, if you pay off the credit card you don't have to worry about the extra interest from that.

Anything you used to pay on the credit card, use that to pay the car loan in addition to what you already pay on it.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Paying down the car loan will not help your score, paying it off will also not help your score....

Paying down the credit card will though. 

Your CC counts towards your util % which fico scores in. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 7 of 15
zan987
New Contributor

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!!  Smiley Surprised  The concenus seems to be that I should pay my credit card off and that is what I will do tomorrow.   I have never been behind with either payment and I can not wait to see how much my credit score will go up next month.  Thank you ....thank you...and thank you again.

Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

what was your util at with that card?

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 9 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

llecs has an AWESOME post about util,

Check it out!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Score-impact-of-going-from-89-util-to-lt-...

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.