Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My journey so far (long post)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My journey so far (long post)

Hello everyone! I've posted here a few times but I wanted to formally introduce myself and my credit journey. (Sorry long post!)

Background: I'm 28 and just started to work on getting my credit back on track from my early 20's. I went through some tough times when I was unemployed and racked up debt/loans to help pay for everything. I got a full-time job and was so excited to finally buy things that I went overboard then was stupid and let accounts go into collections. I also tried to ignore the problem and shockingly it didn't go away! I finally had to sit myself down and accept what was happening and face the mess. I've been working on getting credit back on track since about midway of last year and have really buckled down on spending and having a budget. I have my trusty spreadsheet of all my debts and plans to pay off everything. I should have everything paid off by July of this year and I have a lovely family vacation in October to Europe (I work for a travel company so I get great discounts) and I plan on using this as my celebrating freedom from debt trip.

I've outlined where I'm at right now below and where I'm going. I would love feedback, advice, etc if you have it. I would also like to thank everyone here, finding this board has been amazing and helped me so much. Heart

Open and Current Accounts (reporting to all three unless noted)

Private Loan 1 - Balance $775 (started at $4k) - Never Late, will be paid off on 3/30/18 - only reports to TU

Private Loan 2 - Balance $850 (Started at $2k) Never late, will be paid off on 3/15/18 - doesn't report 

Capital One Platinum - Balance $50 - Limit $300 (will be $500 in June as CapOne advised as long as min payments are made)

Citi Platinum Secured - Balance $0 - Limit $200

Indigo - Balance $0 - Limit $300

First Premier - Balance $0 - Limit $300

Williams-Sonoma - Balance $0 - Limit $250 

Eddie Bauer - Balance $0 - Limit $250

SimplyBe - Balance $0 - Limit $250

My Jewelers Club - Balance $0 - Limit $5000

Student Loans - 6 loans - $13k - all current/deferred while in school

I also pay $100 a month to my school on a payment plan as loans didn't cover everything - owe $2500, but will owe arounf $8k to them by the end of school

Charged-Off and Closed Accounts (reporting to all three unless noted)

Amex Green Card - Balance $900 (Started at $3600) - In credit management program (Optima) - Will be paid off by July and will apply for Optima card

Capital One Platinum - Balance $0 (Still reporting a balance) - Settled through CA Alliance One for a reduced amount

Capital One QS1 - Balance $0 (Still reporting a balance) - Settled through CA Alliance One for a reduced amount

Credit One - Balance $0 - Charge-Off to Midland (see below)

Mid America Bank - Balance $0 - Charge-Off - Never received a collections on this so I assume it could come (around $200) - DofD Sep 16

Synchorny (Banana Republic) - Balance $413 - Charge-Off - CA is Client Services, trying to work with them to settle but never seem to hear back. Not on reports yet thankfully DofD June 2016

Synchorny (JCP) - Balance $0 - Charge-Off - CA was Calvary - See below

Comenity (Victoria's Secret) - Balance $0 - CA was Jefferson - See Below

Comenity (Victoria's Secret) - Balance $0 - CA is Portfolio - See Below

Comenity (J. Crew) - Balance $0 - CA as Jefferson - See below

Paypal Credit - Balance $0 - not reporting - CA is American Coradius - See below

Collections (reporting accounts underlined)

Calvary - Balance $0 - PIF and closed - reporting as closed - Annoying them with GW letters until they break

American Coradius - not reporting - Still owe $438 - Have sent letters to settle/pay - Haven't heard back from them in months - Dofd was June 2016

Client Services - not reporting - Owe $413 - Have sent letters to settle/pay - Haven't heard back from them in months - Dofd was June 2016

PRA - reporting open - In a payment plan with them - Still owe $260 - Will be paid off by May - Going to GW/PFD them forever

Midland - Reporting Open - Still owe $850 - Will be paid off by June - They will remove once paid off

Alliance one (both) - paid settled amount in December - never reported

Jefferson (both) - were reporting but never sent me DV after numerous attempts to get them. Filed a BBB dispute in December and recieved a letter saying they are deleting both tradelines and will no longer come after me for the debt (YAY!) - tradelines deleted as promised in December

Continental Credit - Medical - $180 - Mailed for DV last month and haven't received yet - Not reporting

Phew! That's a lot! I live in California if there's a question of statute of limitations, credit scores are in my signature (all Fico 8). If you made it to the end you get a cookie (not really). As stated before I cannot thank everyone here enough for you help! Smiley Happy Heart

6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My journey so far (long post)

Good job is what I see here. Your utilization is excellent reporting to the CRAs. Yeah close out the 2 privates you have the SL to help you with installment loans going forward. On the Banana Republic try this: Call Synch tell them you are trying to settle with their collector but they are not communicating and that you wish to work with them if they will recall the collection. Medicals are some of the easiest to deal with. If you know they are yours I would not DV them this could get them into a stance of keeping it on the CR for the entire time, you have already done it but if you know its yours I would call them and tell them you have determined its yours and you want to PIF in exchange for it not reporting. I will give you the normal way to handle medicals

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two and half month update: 

So it's been a crazy journey the last few months and I wanted to update my progress and other personal stuff. I recently went back to an old job that better suited my lifestyle and allows me to work from home. It was a very small (under 5%) pay cut, but with the ability to work at home it should actually save me money on gas and car maintenance. This change also just makes my life so much less stressful and allows me the time to finally workout more and take care of myself so there's a self-care win for me! 

Now onto my credit journey! 

My Scores 4/30/18

Eq - 623 (+68, Started at 555 in January)

TU - 639 (+40, Started at 599 in January)

Ex - 624 (+72, Started at 552 in January)

Open and Current Accounts (reporting to all three unless noted)

• CapOne Quicksilver - Balance $16 - Limit $300 (will be $500 in June as CapOne advised as long as min payments are made)
  • Discover IT Secured - Balance $0 - Limit $500 - Will unsecure at 7 Months
  • NFCU Cash Rewards - Balance $50 - Limit $500
  • Citi Platinum Secured - Balance $0 - Limit $200
  • Indigo - Balance $0 - Limit $300 (Debating closing this soon)
  • First Premier - Balance $0 - Limit $300 (Debating closing this soon)
  • Williams-Sonoma - Balance $0 - Limit $250 
  • Eddie Bauer - Balance $0 - Limit $250 
  • SimplyBe - Balance $0 - Limit $250
  • My Jewelers Club - Balance $0 - Limit $5000
  • Student Loans - 6 loans - $13k - all current/deferred while in school until 2021

Charged-Off and Closed Accounts (reporting to all three unless noted)

• Amex Green Card - (PIF, marked as PIF charge-off, haven't received an offer for the Optima card but was advised from the executive office that I can apply for a new card. I think I'm still "blacklisted" though as the pre-qual page goes nowhere)
  • Capital One Platinum - Balance $0 - (marked as paid in full, charge-off)
  • Capital One QS1 - Balance $0 - (marked as paid in full, charge-off)
  • Bank of Missouri- Balance $0 - PIF Charge-Off - Never received a collections on this so I assume it could come (around $200) - DofD Sep 16 
  • Synchorny (Banana Republic) - (Paid in full, now reporting PIF charge-off)
  • Synchorny (JCP) - Balance $0 - Charge-Off PIF
  • Paypal Credit - Balance $0 - not reporting - CA is American Coradius - See below (Not reporting but may be moving to Synchorny so may end up getting reported at some point)

Collections (reporting accounts underlined)

• American Coradius - not reporting - Still owe $438 - Have sent letters to settle/pay - Haven't heard back from them in months - Dofd was June 2016
  • PRA (Paid in full, reporting PIF and closed. Ongoing battle...)

I have been actively working on GW campaigns and have gotten Credit One, Cavalry, and Continental Credit removed. I'm also in the middle of a giant battle with PRA that has escalated to me contacting the AG of CA. The basics are they contacted me and my family illegally about the debt, have reported as a factoring company and as a revolving account, and have refused to DV or send me any documents supporting the debt. They have said they contacted me after my CFPB and BBB disputes but I've never gotten a thing from them. The account is now PIF as I wanted to pay off everything. I have submitted another CFPB compaint, CRA disputes, and have contacted the AG for CA. Once I hear back from those I'll know if I need to keep going. Next step is 609 letters if they somehow validate with the CRAs. I won't give up on this as it's now my last collection account reporting. 

Other than that I have been sending out GW letters and e-mails every few weeks to all the charge-off accounts asking for deletion or an update to reporting that's more favorable. I will keep fighting the good fight and update again soon Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep up the great work bld331!

Question: Whne you paid off your capital one, how long did it take to update it to “Paid charge off”?

And how did you get Calvary to delete your tradeline? Thanks for your help and congrats again!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Texasgirl, 

It took about two months for Capital One to update the tradeline. I settled for less so they first updated to a lower amount, then updated to zero with a paid in full remark. For Cavalry I sent e-mails to any executive I could find asking for a GW deletion. It took a couple months but they finally deleted but never sent anything in writing saying they would. I think they may have recently upated their policy to be on par with Midland's which basically says that once you pay they will delete the tradeline if it meets certain criteria. I think they're starting to realize that people are more willing to pay the full amount if they agree to delete the tradeline. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

New update! I went onto the Amex pre-approval site and it let me enter my info so it looks like I'm off the blacklist! Still no pre-approvals, but I'm in the garden for a few months anyway so I'll check back when I'm ready for new cards to see what I qualify for. I'm really excited about this as Amex is the one credit card that I wanted to get back in with. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey did My Jewelers club help you? Can you give me some insight on them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.