Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My med bills on my spouse's report

tag
holhat
Regular Contributor

My med bills on my spouse's report

Hello

So a few of my med bills showed up on my spouse's report.  Anything I can do about that?

He wasn't the insurance policy holder and he wasn't at the doc with me so not sure why or how they managed to appear but would like to remove them if I can.   Suggestions?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My med bills on my spouse's report

Talk to the billing department at the doc's office. Tell them that they are illegally reporting debts on the wrong account. In fact, I would put it in writing.

For you follow the HIPAA Process to get them off of your reports.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Talk to the billing department at the doc's office. Tell them that they are illegally reporting debts on the wrong account. In fact, I would put it in writing.

For you follow the HIPAA Process to get them off of your reports.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Hi holhat! What state do you folks live in?
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can do it IF you live in a community property state.

community property states are:

• Arizona.
  • California.
  • Idaho.
  • Louisiana.
  • Nevada.
  • New Mexico.
  • Texas.
  • Washington.
  • Wisconsin
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me.  The insurance was in my husbands name and he received the ding on his cresdit.  He was furious, Since he was the policy holder they went after him.Smiley Mad
Message 5 of 14
holhat
Regular Contributor

Aaahhh, bummer.  I feel bad but all I can do is try to get them off there.  I am kind of surprised that my medical showed up because of the HIPAA laws and all.  Must not be THAT protected.....Go Government!

Pretty old bills too.  I plan to use the HIPPA rule as my defense tho so we'll see   Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 14
holhat
Regular Contributor

Thanks ByrdMan....didn't see ya up there, I'm going to give it a shot.  I actually have the Pre Hipaa letters still out on my own behalf, should be in any day......Smiley Surprised

aaaaahhh Happy Days.....I had forgotten about the community property rule!!!   Darn!!  I am in WA. 

Im hopin' the Hipaa rule works in my favor then because that is my only leg to stand on. 

Thank you!!

Message 7 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Be sure to opt-out with the CRAs and your current creditors, and update your personal information on your reports before you send out the pre-HIPAA dispute letters.
Message 8 of 14
holhat
Regular Contributor

Did that first thing.  Following Med thread advice to the letter.  THANK YOU!!  

Smiley Very Happy   This site has been AWESOME!! 

Message 9 of 14
rivernh
Contributor

I had something similar happen where the courts ruled that I carried health insurance for my son, and that his father pay co-pays.   His father also brought him to the appointments, and I never signed anything.  

I ended up in collection for about 6 copays ranging from 5-$15 dollars.   This was 4-5 years ago.  His father paid them when they started denying health care to my son, so they are all paid.   Recently I have been able to get them all off, but it took lots of disputing and I had to mail copies of court orders!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.