Did you mean: 

My medical debt sold to new CA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so, I just had a call from a collection agent today,

Telling me my Medical debt is sold to them from the previous CA.

The lady stated I have few weeks to pay it off or they will put it on my credit report.

This is my case, the previous CA put this medical debt on my report – can I dispute it now

And settle for less with this new Collection agency?

if so how do I go about settling this for less?

This is the only negative on my report.

Total debit is $810

All advice are welcome

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: My medical debt sold to new CA

If they are offering not to report if paid within a certain time, you can ask for a settlement for less, but that delay may result in their reporting of the collection to put additonal pressue on you.  You might consider paying in full to avoid their reporting of a collection.

As for the old debt collector, CRA policy is that a debt collector delete their reporting if their collection authority is terminated.

Sale of the debt termiantes their collection authoriity, so yes, it should be deleted.

Basis for your dispute would be that their collection authority is terminated.  The CRA will refer your dispute to the debt collector, and if confirmed, will delete.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My medical debt sold to new CA

Thank you Robert, will call the CA tomorrow to settle for less and hopeful pay it off in a week before they report it on my credit report

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.