Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My name is Stephanie and I have an App problem

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

Re: My name is Stephanie and I have an App problem

@sharriel,

I understand your pain.  I too app'd like crazy.  13 cards just this year and 9 of those since July.  I did my last app last month with chase for a CSP and was politely slapped down because of all the new accounts.   The rep told me that if I didn't have all the new accounts he would have approved me.  Silly me!  The good thing in my case is that I actually need these accounts to build my credit as I only had two secured cards which were opened last year and I closed one and the other will be closing sometime mid 2014.  My AAoA accounts is only 3.2 years so as these accounts age, they will certainly help me.  Chase told me to reapply this time next year and if everything remains the same, I'll be approved.  I expect my scores to go up and to keep my utilization between 0-5%.  Now to your question.  If you close two accounts, they will still stay on your reports and remain factored into your AAoA.  No way around that unless you get the creditors to remove the accounts.  I have to garden (forced). 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 11 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@sharriel wrote:

I know I shouldn't have opened all of these but I did and have learned my lesson.  I would like to get a mortgage next summer but now I'm scared to death and I have totally ruined my chances by getting a few stupid $250 credit limits.  If I close 2 of these with 0 balances, will it do anything? 

Right now my AAoA is:

Length of Credit History 22 Years, 8 Months

Average Account Age 5 Years, 5 Months

Will closing 2 of these make them come off my report and possibly raising my AAoA?

No, the only thing closing them will do is take away the CL from being factored into your utilization.  They will still remain as positive accounts for up to 10 years from date closed.

Message 12 of 20
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You seriously need to join the Garden Club and get active in the thread.  Seriously!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@sharriel wrote:

I know I shouldn't have opened all of these but I did and have learned my lesson.  I would like to get a mortgage next summer but now I'm scared to death and I have totally ruined my chances by getting a few stupid $250 credit limits.  If I close 2 of these with 0 balances, will it do anything? 

Right now my AAoA is:

Length of Credit History 22 Years, 8 Months

Average Account Age 5 Years, 5 Months

Will closing 2 of these make them come off my report and possibly raising my AAoA?

No, the only thing closing them will do is take away the CL from being factored into your utilization.  They will still remain as positive accounts for up to 10 years from date closed.

To add to this, while the accounts are open you can build payment history on them.  Positive tradelines are of value regardless, and at the six month mark or so they may be helpful.  I'd keep them open personally, longer-term these accounts won't hurt you at all, just in the short term it looks a little suspect with a mortgage coming up.  I would take whatever advantage I could out of the situation, and that means leaving the cards open to work for you.  A closed card at this point does you no benefit, whereas an open card (assuming you don't become delinquent on them, try not to do that! Smiley Happy) can benefit you.

Ergo, imo, leave 'em open.

        
Message 14 of 20
RnJ
Contributor

Just a suggestion - rotate those you are least likely to use - every other month or every two months to keep them open and to accrue the TL history - make small purchases and PIF.  Nurture those you plan to keep and commit to taking care of them (keep util low and PIF every month) and do not apply for anything else.  In 8 months to a year, you might be in the position to apply for a prime card or two, even though it may be a low starting limit, you'll be better off and can adjust to a new sort of "tier" (prime card(s) to grow with you).

On the bright side, your multiple INQ's will all fall off in the same year Smiley Happy  Beyond that, as hard as it may be, patience is required, you'll get there if you exercise patience.  Without exercising patience, the home ownership isn't going to be easy (your score might rise to acceptance, but your profile may not and you may not get acceptable rates).  Decide now how badly you want that home.

Message 15 of 20
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone! 

My Cap1 Secured was opened in 06/13.  Made small purchases, always PIF.

Buckle & HSN opened 7/13. Made small purchases, always PIF

Express - opened 8/13. Haven't made a purchase yet.

CAP1 QuickSilver - Opened 9/13 - $200/$500 balance (will be PIF next month)

Barclays - Opened 10/13 - $300/$500 balance (will be PIF in January)

Woman Within - opened 10/13. Made a small purchase, PIF

Victoria's Secret - opened 10/13. Haven't made a purchase yet

Kohl's - opened10/13. $300/$600. WIll PIF after Christmas

Target - opened 10/13. $100/$200. WIll PIF this month

SO I think as long as I keep paying them and just making small purchases here and there, I will be ok.

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 16 of 20
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Buy something small (like socks) if you need them.  If you need a jacket, get it somewhere you can use the card.  Once your chargeoffs are removed, you should be lookin' pretty good!

Keep a spreadsheet and attach your receipts to the file.  Make sure everything is paid ontime.  Buy what you NEED.  I haven't used my VS card in a while, but I do NEED airfreshener thingies, so I'll get them a Bath and Body Works...keep the card active.  Theirs are the BEST, even covers up litter box odor! 

This credit thing is a lot of hard work!Smiley LOL  I think you're on your way!

Message 17 of 20
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Victoria's Secret - opened 10/13. Haven't made a purchase yet

Bath and Body Works~GREAT AirFreshner Plug-In's and LOVE their shampoo.  Candles are also awesome and make a nice gift.

Message 18 of 20
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

THanks!! I just realized I can use it at the store!! YAY!! Christmas gifts!!

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 19 of 20
RnJ
Contributor

sharriel, you have really high util on those cards, try to keep each card less than 10% - your score will improve by doing so.  Leaving balances on several cards does not help you, paying interest only hurts you. 

Keep util around 10% on one or two cards (no more than that), PIF before they're due, and leave the other cards to report zero.  Rotate them every other month or so, so that each card gets occasional use.  In time, you'll see your score go up, your creditors may give you CL's and eventually you'll be able to get a prime card.  No more apps, especially if you want to apply for a mortgage - but fair warning, regardless of your score, your entire report needs to be clean prior to applying for a mortgage and no apps for at least 6 months prior. You want your score as high as you can get it then because shopping for mortgages can ding your score during the process.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.