Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new credit rebuilding journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My new credit rebuilding journey

OK, I've been reading the posts here for a couple weeks and I've been learning as much as I can about this process. I'm honestly a bit embarassed to say I've never taken my credit seriously until now. I've never seriously tried to establish a high credit rating, so I pretty much have a train wreck of a credit history. I had a bunch of credit cards around 2005, all low limit ranging from $300 to $1500, and all pretty much maxed out. Then a huge medical debt hit, I was sued and forced to file Chapter 7 which was discharged 10/2007. Then in 2010 I lost my job. I cashed out my 401K (about 6k net after taxes and a 401K loan) and used the money to relocate from California to Oregon, where I found work 5 months later. During that time period I incurred some medical debt. Also some unpaid bills during two household moves. Then again in December of 2012 I was laid off. Another 5 months later and I found another job. OK, so fast forward to today, and I'm finally getting serious. I'm sick of apartment living and I want to purchase our first home - even if its just a trailer in a park somewhere. But obviously I need to fix up my credit.... So thats my 'backstory'. 

Currently my credit is a mess, with a fako score from CK of 517, and everthing you can think of on my reports from late pays, unpaid medical bills, unpaid household bills, judgments, and the BK-7.

On the plus side I do have two Cap 1 accounts, that are about 2 years old, $300 and $500 limits. Both are at around 90% right now, but I'm going to be bringing those down. I've got an auto loan (new) for $7300, that I just made the first payment on.  

I'll post a list of my TU items in a reply to this so it wont be so long.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My new credit rebuilding journey

This is from my Trans-Union Report

Public Records:

Bankruptcy Discharged 10/2007

Judgement - 5/2014 $3100 - currently making payments of $300 per month, $2500 balance left.

Judgement - 10/2013 - $1364  - Shows paid on 4/2014

Judgement - 5/2014 - $586  - Paid but does not show as paid on TU

Judgement - 11/2013 - $1424 - Paid but does not show as paid on TU

Late pays:

Capital one - account in good standing, but shows one 30 day late from 5/2013
  Note - I asked for a CLI on the above account and was denied for low score and a late pay within nine

months, but that late pay does not show on credit report. I accidentally missed a payment in January.

Capital one - account is currently in good standing but shows 5 late pays - one 30, one 60, and three 90's

from 3/2013 to 7/2013

The late pays were when I had just been laid off and I was unemployed for a few months. I caught them up as

quick as I could once I went back to work.

Nationwide Auto loan

Account paid off but shows 6 lates from 4/2012 to 9/2012. I wrecked the vehicle and insurance covered all

but $700. With a new, bigger car payment, and having to come up with a $1000 down ($200 a week for 5 weeks)

on the new vehicle, I could not pay this off very quickly. I took way longer than I wanted, not thinking

about how it might hurt my credit.

Wells Fargo Auto loan

Account is now paid off - I had one late payment 5/13. Only a partial late ($195, full payment was $395),

because of moving expenses when I got my new job last year. Our deposit was supposed to be $300, but ended

up being $750, leaving me short for the car payment.

OK, now for collection accounts:

Access Capital - 1/2011 $374 For an unpaid traffic ticket in california Status is Paid/closed 6/2012
Drop off - 5/2017

Bonneville Collections - 6/2013 $1140 for unpaid Utility bill. Status is Paid/Closed 3/14 (related to

Judgement above)
Drop off - 3/2020

Columbia Collections - 1/2012 - $65 for unpaid medical bill. Status is In Collection
Drop off - 12/2017

Columbia Credits - 3/2011 - $189 for unpaid medical bill. Status is In Collection
Drop off - 11/2017

Credit Inc 3/2011 - $60 for unpaid medical bill. Status is In Collection
Drop off - 11/2017

Diversified Consultants - $137 for DirecTV bill. Status is In Collection
Drop off - 4/2020

Enhanced Recovery Company - 5/2014 $246 for ATT Internet Service. Status is In Collection.
Drop off - 5/2020

Fin. CR. Netwk - $296 for unpaid Medical Bill. Status is In Collection.
Drop off - 10/2017

Fin. CR. Netwk - $52 for unpaid medical bill. Status is Paid in Full 9/2009.
Drop Off - 3/2015

Grant Mercantile Agency - 8/2011 - $386 for unpaid medical bill. Status is In Collection
Drop off - 3/2017

IC Systems Collections - 11/2013 - $246 for ATT Internet (same as above) Status is In Collection
Drop off 5/2020

So my plan is to GW the paid items i have and start DV'ing the unpaid ones. the ones that get validated I will start doing PFD offers on, starting with the small ones. The one thing I'm unsure of is the Judgements. I know some states allow them to be vacated when paid, but I can't find any info on whether this can be done in Oregon or not. If anyone knows please let me know...

TIA, Norm
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute the judgements and see if you can get them off if they have been paid.

DV all the unpaid debt.

Get your credit cards paid down.

Send Goodwill letters out to where you been late.  Your lates are definately killing you along with your collections. It's a mixture. Your utlization level is also hurting you.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, Thats pretty much the plan. Thank you for the feedback. I've got one GW letter written out already, just gotta get it sent off.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.