Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebuild--unofficial start 2/2017

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My rebuild--unofficial start 2/2017

Yay!  My FICO scores went up a few points--likely due to paying down my BofA balance.

Starting was (myFICO):

EQ: 630

TU:621

EX: 614

Npw my scores are:

EQ: 637

TU: 626

EX: 619

I know these are small steps, but you know what they say about how to eat an elephant: one bite at a time, right?

Just waiting now to hear back from TU and the CA about dispute and GW, respectively.

Message 11 of 41
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Every point feels like 100 and you're entitled to celebrate each one!!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 12 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

TIME,

Come a year from now, your experience & perspective with be very much different than now.

I believe that you will acquire & possess many different and specific experiences under your belt, and one day today compared to a year from now will be shocking.

The impact a single day I had a year ago was HUGE.  All of my experiences were laser focused and I analyzed the consequences and how it was effecting what I had already accomplished, and if there might now be an obstacle in front of me.  Now, each day is casual, and though I am aware of what is going on, my time horizon isn't the next 12-24 hours, rather Months & Years.

As you handle and try to balance all of the responsibilities you currently have, see if you can take a moment for yourself and just be at peace and calm.

A year from now you will be able to breathe so much easier in contrast to today.  Anything you can do for self-care now will allow you greater persistence & strength as the calendar of days and months pass by.

Best Wishes on your journey and successes!!!!

Message 13 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

TIME,

Come a year from now, your experience & perspective with be very much different than now.

I believe that you will acquire & possess many different and specific experiences under your belt, and one day today compared to a year from now will be shocking.

The impact a single day I had a year ago was HUGE.  All of my experiences were laser focused and I analyzed the consequences and how it was effecting what I had already accomplished, and if there might now be an obstacle in front of me.  Now, each day is casual, and though I am aware of what is going on, my time horizon isn't the next 12-24 hours, rather Months & Years.

As you handle and try to balance all of the responsibilities you currently have, see if you can take a moment for yourself and just be at peace and calm.

A year from now you will be able to breathe so much easier in contrast to today.  Anything you can do for self-care now will allow you greater persistence & strength as the calendar of days and months pass by.

Best Wishes on your journey and successes!!!!

Excellent advice, actually!  It's a funny thing, this credit score improvement.  It can become very addictive, and I sometimes feel myself getting impatient with it.  I found myself checking all day for the past few days if BofA had reported my statement balance, as if my checking it can make them move any quicker!  These changes take time, it's usually a month by month thing, not a week by week or day by day thing.  Yet, when we're trying to financially rebuild, especially when we're in a position to make big sweeping changes (better job with excellent pay, came into a windfall or something, etc), then we want to see thing change "now."  Quick changes only happen when something drastic occurs--like a collections is deleted, or something like that.  

All of this obsessing is not good for a person, though.  It can sap your energy and leave you depleted mentally.  So you are absolutely right, and anyone reading this should heed what you say about taking time to be at peace and calm your mind, do something (that doesn't cost much money) to relax--such as go for a walk or run, read a book (not about finances!), or enjoy a hobby that doesn't involve checking your balances or credit scores.  

And I plan to do just that today.  I have a big day planned--going to spend some time in nature doing what I love, then I have some old friends coming to spend the weekend with us.  It certainly will not do for me to be checking myFICO a million times a day while they are here, now will it!

Best wishes and many years to you and all that are reading this!

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

So my EQ via CK went up 58 pts to 666 (lol) today.  I realize that it's a FAKO, but encouraging nontheless.  Problem is, I really can't figure out what caused such a jump, the only change being that I paid down quite a bit on my BofA card.  But, it didn't do that much to any of my other scores--CK TU went up only 1 point to 609.  And my actual FICO scores went up 5-7 pts a few days ago (see my current scores in the siggy).  

Conclusion: this is all really weird and seems to be hocus pocus. I know that each bureau and each proprietary scoring model weighs things differently, but it's about as clear and easy to understand as health insurance. And we all know how that is...It's something that I think should be a lot more consumer friendly, instead of keeping it all under this veil of mystery.  

Message 15 of 41
joltdude
Senior Contributor

The key thing is time... as long as your doing something to move things along.... it takes time for things to right themselves....

it can take 30 or more days for a change to show up... but it will.... 

Credit is a marathon not a sprint....

-J

Message 16 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I was checking my credit report on EX yesterday, and I noticed that they put the "Account information disputed by consumer: meets FCRA" notation on the medical collections.  I think this is a result of the letter I sent to the company requesting deletion in exchange for pay in full.  I stated that I was unsure that the account was mine (to prevent resetting of the SOL), and was only able to find the account number by looking at my credit report (true).  I elaborated that I was moving at the time of the "delinquency" and did not receive any notification by mail about it (all true, I really didn't get anything in the mail--I just assumed it was probably mine because of the timing of everything and the info on my credit report).  I guess they took the ball and ran with it, though, and interpreted it as a dispute letter.

Not sure whether they have reading comprehension issues, or they're just trying to cover their butts. Smiley Indifferent  In any event, I plan to send them another letter if I don't hear back from them by the 13th.  I have it all typed up and prepared, emphasizing the "spirit of compromise" and willingness to pay in full.  Hopefully my different (and slightly more monosyllabic) wording will help.

In other news, the telecom collections dispute is still ongoing--due to be finished on the 21st with TU.  As each day goes by, I'm getting more hopefull that they will find that it isn't mine, which I seriously believe is true.  I didn't even have an account with that telecom company back in 2013, so it obviously could not be mine!  I've been spreading the news to everyone at work that they need to check their credit reports because they will probably find errors, like I did.  And this collections is not the only error--for instance, the bank I have my car loan with reported my lates wrongly.  I had two months in which I was late, and they reported it as 30 days, then 90 days!  Well, that's wrong, because 30+30=60, not 90.  That's the next thing I'm going to dispute, but I was thinking of calling the bank up and talk to someone about it, to see if they can correct it with all agencies, instead of me having to file separate disputes with TU, EX, and EQ.  The bank has been good to me, even when I was going through a rough spot.

Also, paying aggressively on BofA, will probably have the balance down to $500 by the end of the month.  Then, watch out Citi credit card balance, I'm coming for you!

Message 17 of 41
stellar
Established Contributor

I'm curious what your degree and job is, if you don't mind sharing.

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not the most encouraging day, but I'm not going to let it get me down.  

The dispute with EX, which I started a couple of days ago, over the telecom collections was finished today, and the results were not in my favor: "verified as accurate." I get this funny feeling that they simply called up the CA and asked "Hey, do you have an account for Ms. X?"  And the CA said "yup."  And that was that.  So, I have a nice, polite DV letter I'm going to send to the CA tomorrow requesting all the documentation.  

TU dispute is still ongoing, set to be done by June 21st.  Hopefully this one will stick.

I called up my car loan provider to question those 30-90 day lates.  I spoke to a very nice lady on the phone who calculated the days and found the reporting was accurate.  So that won't be changed.  She also added that they do not do GW removals of accurate reporting (I didn't ask about it, because I figured they wouldn't anyway), unless the reporting of lates was due to their issue--for example, losing a check or misapplying a payment.  Fair enough, I'll continue to make my payments on time and go from there.

Sent my (2nd) GW letter to the medical collections today.  Should get there friday.  Part of me was tempted to add a "PS: do you want the money or not?" but I didn't. Smiley Wink

On the brighter side:

The myFICO simulations all say that if I simply pay down my debt by $6000, that will bump my scores up to the next level.  I figure that's going to happen by the end of next month!  I know it's just a simulation, but when I've run them before my real scores have been in a few standard deviations of what the simulation said.  So that's encouraging!

Also, on one of my new credit cards, they added the annual fee right away.  Not a problem, but I haven't received my card yet so I can't pay it online.  I called the CC company up and paid over the phone, as I was worrying that I would end up with a late payment.  Now I can relax a bit instead of worrying.

All in all, just staying organized and paying all my bills on time.  And going through my credit reports with a fine-toothed comb.

Message 19 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, now I'm super-confused.  I checked CK today to check my TU dispute status, and it showed the telecom collections as "closed," the interest that was accrued for the month was removed, and the account does not appear under "collections."  However, the dispute is still ongoing until the 21st.  What does this mean?  Is this something that the CA has to do during the dispute process--close the account, stop adding interest?  Or are they getting ready to just delete the account?  Or are they sending it back to the OC (good luck with that becasue I didn't have an account with the OC in 2013) because I'm being such a stinker? Smiley Wink  Nothing has updated with myFICO concerning it, but my FAKO TU went up 49 pts on account of this.  

I held off on sending that DV letter today because of this news, not because I'm afraid they'll be able to validate it, but because I didn't want to add anymore complexity to the situation.  

What do you guys think?  Does the fact that the CA closed the account mean anything, or is it just a thing they have to do during the process.  (Google has produced nothing in this regard to enhance my knowledge)

Thanks in advance!

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.