Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rebuilding journey thus far!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rebuilding journey thus far!

I have never known what it was like to have good credit. Apart from a car loan in 2004 and a student credit card in 2004, I have never had credit. I had a divorce in 2007 that devasted my finances and essentially ruined what little credit I had, so I lived day to day paying cash for everything. I made 100k and couldnt even get a car loan from a bank. Embarrassing.

I went through student loan rehabilitation last year for all my student loand and completed the program last year. Prior to that my scores were in the low to mid 500's. Main reason they were so bad was I had no positive tradelines, only collections, judgements, and chyarge offs. In march 2016 I app'ed for a secured US bank card not expecting to get it. Well, I got approved! Have been using it for a year and paying on time. That in addition to my recently completed rehab definitley helped my scores.

On 3/ 14 i pulled my free reports from all 3 agencies from annualcreditreport.com and also pulled my FICO's from this site. Report had about 3 jusdgements, 3 collections, and late payments from my old closd student loans. I had thought they were supposed to be deleted as part of the rehab? Anyways, see my scores as of 3/14 below.

Experian - 624: 2 judgements, 1 tax lien, 3 collections, late student loan payments on closed accounts.

Equifax - 604: 2 judgements, 1 tax lien, 3 collections, late student loan payments on closed accounts, child support account showing 120 day lates even though I pay on time every month.

Transunion - 603: 2 judgements, 1 tax lien, 3 collections, late student loan payments on closed accounts, child support account showing 120 day lates even though I pay on time every month.

First step was sending letters to all 3 agencies disputing the collections. Most were due to fall off anyways in a year. As of toady, all but one have been deleted! The last is for $81 on Transunion and is still in pending status.

Experian deleted the 2 judgements and the paid tax lien. Equifax deleted the 2 judgements but the paid tax lien came back as verified Smiley Sad Transunion deleted the judgements and tax lien is still pending.

Disputing the closed student loans as not my obligation. Since I wient through rehabilitation, I had new loans established and those old loans were closed. I dont think they should still be on my report?

As of yesterday, my scores were:

Experian: 685

Transunion: 631

Equifax: 676

I called USbank asking to unsecure my $300 secured card. They approved my request! I have had that card for 12 months paying diligently!

Feeling confident, I applied for the discover IT card. I was nervous as I have never ever been approved instantly for an unsecured card and didnt want to push my luck. Took the leap and instant 6k limit approval!!!!

Applied for Cap 1 platinum. $3k limit approval!

I was euphoric! Then got cocky and applied for the AMEX BCE card. Rejected because I had too few credit cards and low limits reporting. I should have waited till i got the discover and Cap 1 before applying Smiley Sad oh well. I went from one $300 secured card to 3 cards all unsecured with a total limit of 9300 in a few hrs!!!

I will continue attacking the closed student loans in hopes that they delete as well as the paid tax lien. Will hold off on apping for any cards for a good while and letting what I have grow.

Please if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve pls let me know. I will continue to update my progress. Thanks everyone as without you this would not be possible Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My rebuilding journey thus far!

Congratulations on your success! Nice to see that you've been able to make such progress.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My rebuilding journey thus far!

You should consider applying for a CC thru NFCU.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.