Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My score dropped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score dropped

filed a dispute to the CRA for a couple hospital bills as per the HIPAA process and my score dropped 12 points just for EQ listing it as a dispute. I did a search but nothing came up about this. Is the drop normal?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My score dropped

Are the bills listed under "collections" on the credit report? It is my understanding that a dispute for a collection does not affect the score, only if it is an original creditor.

Is there something else that changed as well?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are the collection agency for the original creditor but they are not listed under collection agency.
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't seem right to me.

Message 4 of 21
cf2701
Regular Contributor

This is the first I have read about a dispute dropping your FICO score? Would you mind explaining this to me? I am very interested as to why that is and what conditions???

Thanks in advance!
BBVA Clearpoints $16,000 | Discover $13,900 | CECU Visa $10,000 | NFCU Go Rewards Visa Sig. $18,500 | NFCU CLOC $15,000 | PayPal CB MC $10,000 | Paypal Credit $10,000 | Card $7,500 | AMX Hilton Honors Ascend $2,000 | Wayfair $23,900 | Sportsmans Guide Visa $12,400 | Kohls $3,000 | Capital One Savor One $3,500 | PNC Cash Rewards $17,000 | PenFed Power Cash Rewards $10,000 | PenFed Gold $10,000 | Lowe's $20,000 | Best Buy Visa $4,000 | Home Depot $4,000 | NFCU Platinum $25,000
Message 5 of 21
kjm79
Valued Contributor

A dispute can drop your score.  For example, if you dispute the oldest account on your report, that account is kind of "invisible" for scoring purposes.  And while the account is invisible, it is no longer your oldest account and your length of history and AAoA dropped.  Another example could be you dispute an account with a cl of $30,000.  While disputed you lose this available limit and that could wreak havoc on your UTIL.  

I don't think I've heard or read that disputing collections can lower your score, hopefully someone else can add to that. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are medical bills with a hospital that was assigned to the internal collection agency. They're not listed under collections for whatever reason and they both were written off by the hospital (after they went to collections) because I was approved for their good will program. Maybe they moved the accounts to list under collections as they should have been. These were two of newer accounts on my credit report. This has me confused because the information is the same from what was previously reported on myFico so I'm stumped.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myfico lists this: This score decrease may be caused by these 4 new reasons: You have a public record or collection in addition to a serious delinquency on your credit report. You have multiple accounts showing missed payments or derogatory descriptions. You have a recent public record or collection on your credit report. You’ve recently missed a payment or the date of your most recent missed payment is unknown.
Message 8 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

To the OP, a dispute has no impact on your FICO if that dispute was with a CA or PR. Since this was a medical CA, a dispute wouldn't have resulted in a loss due to that specific TL. Now if other items were disputed, like within an OC account, then that's different. Also, once verified or updated, sometimes the CA can update in a way that could possibly hurt. It depends on what changes. OP, I would check for other items that could have changed, like a baddie updating, change in CC util, dropped accounts, added accounts, etc.

@kjm79 wrote:

A dispute can drop your score.  For example, if you dispute the oldest account on your report, that account is kind of "invisible" for scoring purposes.  And while the account is invisible, it is no longer your oldest account and your length of history and AAoA dropped.  Another example could be you dispute an account with a cl of $30,000.  While disputed you lose this available limit and that could wreak havoc on your UTIL.  

I don't think I've heard or read that disputing collections can lower your score, hopefully someone else can add to that. 

Close. A dispute only removes certain aspects of an OC account, like the payment history, but will continue to score the OC's length of history, your mix of credit, your AAoA, scoring bucket, etc.

Message 9 of 21
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Close. A dispute only removes certain aspects of an OC account, like the payment history, but will continue to score the OC's length of history, your mix of credit, your AAoA, scoring bucket, etc.

Oh!  That's good to know.  Thanks for the clarification. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.