Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story (in detail) - please help

tag
littlebird
Valued Member

My story (in detail) - please help

I was very ill for a couple of years and as a result of a ton of medical debt, losing my job...etc, my credit tanked. Beyond that, I had a very irresponsible father who used to file taxes under my name and sign me as an authorized user of a credit card that he would then not pay but had a 30,000 line of credit. I've resolved the tax issues I inherited from him - and I seem to have succesfully disputed his credit card off my account as of 8 months ago.

I currently have a FICO score of 574.I have no credit cards although my mother did add me an authorized user to her account. She has great credit, pays regularly and I'm hoping this will help build my credit seeing as I've been denied for even a gas card at this point.

On my credit report, the negative information is as follows:

TU - $139 sprint cell phone bill from 2005 (not reported on EQ or EX)

TU - $496 ambulance bill dated 1/09 although this bill is actually from 1/07 (not reported on EQ or EX)

TU - $77 doctor bill which I paid but last year but had gone to collection (not reported on EQ or EX)

EQ - $2,120 AmEx bill that I paid in 06 but lists a balance date of 1/09 at $0. Comments say: PAID COLLECTION ACCOUNT CLOSED BY CREDIT GRANTOR     (not reported by TU or EX)

EQ & EX - $4,231 BOA credit card bill that I got served for. I paid $3,240 with the agreement it would be reported as paid in full. I have a letter from the law firm which states "this debt has been paid in full". However, it is still being reported (in spite of disputing it) as: LAST REPORTED DELINQUENCIES: 03/2008=R4,02/2008=R3,01/2008=R2 ACCOUNT PAID ACCOUNT PAID FOR LESS THAN FULL BALANCE  on EQ and CURRENT ACCOUNT/WAS DELINQUENT 150 DAYS PAST DUE DATE. ACCOUNT LEGALLY PAID IN FULL FOR LESS THAN THE FULL BALANCE LAST REPORTED DELINQUENCIES: 06/2009=R ,05/2008=R SETTLEMENT ACCEPTED ON THIS ACCOUNT   on EX

TU, EQ & EX - $447 citibank card from 2004 with balance date listed as 02/10. I remember paying this years ago but am honestly uncertain. It's reported as a charge off. 

EX - $496, ambulance bill (this is reported on TU above and actually shows up under EX again as a $507 balance...but it's all the same bill)

EQ - $0 verizon wireless from 2004. LAST REPORTED DELINQUENCIES: 08/2006=O9,07/2006=O9 CONSUMER DISPUTES THIS ACCOUNT INFORMATION PAID CHARGE OFF  

I've tried disputing everything but it seemed to backfire as creditors just updated all the account dates to N/A or changed the balance by $1 - I'm assuming they do this so they can't expire? 

So, in all, I still have around $774 of valid/active (but old) debt on this report (the ambulance and the sprint bill).

I work full time now, making $700/week after taxes. My husband also works full time and makes slightly less after taxes. His debt situation is much worse than mine but that's another post. We have been slowly chipping away at all our debt (all in all, I've paid $30,000 of debt in the past 4 years) and are starting to build our savings.

At this point, like I said, I don't even qualify for a gas card! So, I don't know what steps to take. I've got my mom's credit card, which I've been on for 3 months now and so far, no positive results. I could get onto my husband's credit card but am worried because, although we are paying it regularly now - it did have a bad period of late payments. 

I see people on here who's scores have jumped drastically in just a year and in spite of all the debt I've paid, mine hasn't budged AT ALL in over a year. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong and would love any advice!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
littlebird
Valued Member

Re: My story (in detail) - please help

is there any other info that would be helpful? i see a lot of views and no replies - i'm very new to this and tried to read all the FAQs first and relevant threads...but please let me know if more info is needed in order to get a reply.

thanks!

Message 2 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CC he put you as an AU on can easily be taken care of by calling the CC company and telling them to remove you as AU.

Medical bills, including ambulance -  google the HIPPA process.

Is the sprint bill paid, is this from the OC or CA?

For the AmEx bill that is paid  - Send a GW letter to who is reporting to see if they will remove.

BoA - Contact the attorney who you paid and tell them they are not reporting as they agreed to.   I see it does say "Paid in full for less...." which is still hurting your score.

CitiBank - Is there a DOFD listed?  Who is reporting?

Verizon - When was it paid and when did it CO?

Message 3 of 13
littlebird
Valued Member

Thanks for responding! Smiley Happy

My husband did NOT add me as an AU - I was wondering if that would be a bad idea...it has a good payment history except for 2 months. 

*edited*

BoA attorney represented FIA card services, which seems to be owned by BoA. Do you think I should contact attorney, FIA and BoA or just attorney? 

AmEx account type is "revolving" does that mean it can't expire? When you say to send a GW letter to who is reporting, you mean the CB?

The sprint bill says "This account is scheduled to stay on record until April 2011". I'm not sure if it's paid, TBH. It's one of those debts that seems like it was sold to more than one creditor and I thought I had paid it but it's so old I can't remember. I'll dig through records. 

Citibank says "date opened: 07/04" and is reported by Citibank NA. It says it's scheduled to remain on my report until June 2012. 

Verizon wireless states: LAST REPORTED DELINQUENCIES: 08/2006=O9,07/2006=O9 CONSUMER DISPUTES THIS ACCOUNT INFORMATION PAID CHARGE OFF  with a $0 balance. Account status: Collection. There is no other info and it's only reported to EQ.

Thanks again for your reply!

Message Edited by littlebird on 02-20-2010 02:15 PM
Message 4 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I was referring to your father adding you as an AU.   How old are the lates on your husbands?

Check for a PM.

I would contact the person/persons who told you it would mark as paid in full, not paid in full for less........

No, revolving just means that it is not a set payment such as a car loan (installment).   No, you would send the GW to the company that is reporting.  The Original Creditor or the Collection Agency.

For the Sprint bill - I would personally leave it alone.  It is going to come off in little over a year.

I would even leave the Citi bank alone.  Is it paid?

When was Verizon paid?

Message 5 of 13
littlebird
Valued Member

Thanks. I don't see my father's account showing up anymore on my reports - so I assume my disputing it being there worked. The lates on my husbands are recent.

OK, I'll try contacting the lawyer - ugh, they were so awful to deal with. I have the letter they sent which clearly states paid in full and have sent copies to all 3 CB - and all 3 denied it. 

I've heard AmEx never responds to GW letters but I suppose since it's old and paid in full, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

Citibank - I believe the debt is valid although it's old and I was not good at keeping records of everything back then. 

Verizon, again, old account and bad record keeping (sigh, if only I could go back in time and kick my own butt!). I believe I paid it in the last 2 years. 

Side question, why are the medical debt forums locked and archived?

Message 6 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If his lates are recent I would not recommend becoming an AU.  You would inherit his negatives also.

I sent you a PM.

The ones that are due to fall off in the next year or so, unless you know they are paid, I would leave them alone.  You could wake the sleeping giant if they are still within SOL.

Message 7 of 13
littlebird
Valued Member

OK. Thanks! I replied to your PM. Smiley Happy

At what stage should I expect to see my score start to climb? 

Getting my father's old CC deleted, the tax lien deleted and several other accounts didn't do anything for my score. Paying off the BoA card also hasn't seemed to effect my score at all. Getting added on my mother's CC as an AU hasn't done anything. 

Is it just a matter of waiting for these other accounts to expire? Or is there more I can do? 

Message 8 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Getting 2 negative accounts deleted but still having 6 is not going to improve your score.

Paying a collection or CO account will not improve your score.  These types of accounts would need to be totally removed.

Mix of tradelines, AAoA, utilization, all of these factor into a FICO score.

It may take just the waiting game to improve.

Message 9 of 13
littlebird
Valued Member

If I ignore debts that are due to expire, and the debt turns out to be valid, could the 7 years start all over again?

If I pay them, does that start the 7 years all over again?

I see people on here who get their score up so quickly. Is it just a matter of getting all the negative info off your report?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.