cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story- need advice

tag
HalfandHalf

My story- need advice

Sorry for the wall of text.. TLDR: Credit card got deactivated 2 years ago, never noticed because I don't use it, average fico of 586 with highest being 609 of equifax.  Need suggestions of where to apply..

Good evening everyone! 

So i recently found out that my Chase Mastercard of 11 years was closed due to inactivity.  I almost never use a CC--by almost never I mean it was closed in 2011 and I never noticed--so i decided to do some research tonight. 

It seems that being late on my mortage and auto loan from time to time has really hurt me.  As well as not having a credit card for almost 2 years.  I am down to an average of 586 with the scores as follows - Experian 568  Equifax 609 and TransUnion 581 pulled from MyFico tonight.  I also pulled my annualcreditreport tonight and noted that nothing was messed up, i indeed was unemployed this past year up until about six months ago and there were times that some things had to go 60 days.

My question is, where do I start now?  I have an 11 year credit history with Chase Mastercard.  I have had my mortgage for six years and my current auto loan for a year.  Any suggestions on what credit cards i should apply for?  I talked with capital one tonight and I fall under their "average" rating from a brief discussion with them via box chat.

I was discussing a GW letter with someone in CC, my concern with doing it for my chase account that is closed, is that they were take it off my report which i think would negatively affect me more than 2 lates in 2010, versus 11 years of positive credit history with them.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Half and Half

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My story- need advice

I wouldn't GW Chase, and there's nothing to GW anyway if current. But communicating with them in any way will increase the odds of a deletion.

I would GW any other baddies though. I'd also consider getting a secured card from somewhere. The limit doesn't matter for now. Once you'd GW's everything and the secured reports, then your score will rebound a great deal and you can always try again for Chase if that's what you wanted.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.