cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story so far after stupid student-era mistakes.

tag
gatorlover
Contributor

My story so far after stupid student-era mistakes.

Hey guys!

So I've had a long credit history (sort of) at the age of 26, comprised of a lot of stupid mistakes up until, at most recent, 2 years ago. At about that time I started to obsess over my credit score, wanting to bring it back up to get to that magical Mid-700s+. I'm still very much on the journey, but here's my profile:

• Dell Advantage Financing - $4000 CL
  • Synchrony/Amazon - $3500 CL (approved at $1800, called and requested $7k, got bumped to $3500)
  • Comenity/Overstock - $2700 CL
  • Synchrony/Newegg - $2000 CL (approved at $800, called and requested $10k, got $2000)
  • Synchrony/Discount Tires - $2000 CL (approved at $400 like 4 years ago, called and requested $5k, got $2k)
  • Barclay Apple Rewards - $1500 CL (asked for $1500 and got $1500; I guess I should try CLI within.. some time?)
  • Capital One QuickSilver One - $1250 CL (just got bumped via CLI from $750)
  • Credit First/Tires Plus - $1200 CL
  • San Francisco Fire Credit Union Platinum Visa - $1000 (this is my bank)
  • Capital One BuyPowerCard - $500 CL (auto CLI recently from a lowly $300)
  • Comenity/Pier 1 Rewards - $500 CL
  • Chase Freedom Unlimited - $500 CL
  • Chase Freedom - $300 CL (this was my first CC; they never increased my credit limit likely because I rode it close to the limit for the better part of 7 years)

Out of these cards, I have a 150 days late on a currently restricted (but still reporting as positive trade line) CapitalOne Platinum (will age to two years after October), 30 days late on Chase Freedom in 2014, previous (not current) Amazon Store Card with 60 days late in July 2014, 60 days late on a now closed WalMart card in August 2014.

I also have a satisfied judgement levied against me which will drop off May/2018 (filed May/2011). The judgement has been satisfied since 11/2014.

Additionally, I have 3 fully paid off previous auto loans (SunTrust, American Honda Finance x 2)-- never late, and a current lease installment with a $1800 balance, ending in May/2017.

Finally, I have a Nelnet student loan account at ~$15k balance with a $105/mo installment.

As you can maybe tell, late 2014 was when I started to get my **bleep** together. Overall, my credit mix seems ok, but due to a lot of recent cards, my AAoA is just under 3 years now, with my oldest being 8 years 8 months.

I currently have two apps out "In Progress" for AmEx:

- AmEx Blue Everyday Cash

- AmEx PRG

Hoping to get a positive approval on these; CreditKarma has my AmEx odds pinned as "Good" on the Blue, and I decided to go for the PRG as well on the same day since I know it'll use the same hard pull. I contacted AmEx to check on the applications, and they informed me they had been sent to the "Executive team" and I should check back in 3-5 days. I reaaaaalllllyyy hope I get a positive response from AmEx as it has been my dream to have one Smiley Very Happy 

My scores currently are:

FICO: EQ 652 / TU 670 / EX 658 (dropped 10 points from 668 after AmEx inq).

FAKO: EQ 680 / TU 682

Income: 95k

I am sitll waiting for an incorrect collections to be deleted from EQ (already removed from EX and TU).  Also, the Dell account is currently reporting a $2300 balance which is now down to $80, so my uitl will go way down after that is reported.

Other current util includes $197 on the BuyPowerCard, which will be down to $0 once they report my payment, and a revolving $181.92 on the Freedom Unlimited that I will be PIF by the due date.

Anyways, as soon as these AmEx apps go through, whichever way they go, I will be ready to settle down in the garden for a couple of years and hope to attain > 700 and hopefully close to 750 once that judgement expires in May 2018 and my accounts have had some time to age Smiley Happy Please let me know if anyone has any feeedback or odds on my AmEx app! Happy to share, and this forum has been an AMAZING source of information, almost to the point of obsession; you guys are awesome.

Current

Starting (May 2020)

Reaching for 750+
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My story so far after stupid student-era mistakes.

You will be very wise to settle down and garden. 

As far as the AMEX application, did you get the 3-5 day answer after calling the recon line?  I would think "talking" a rep through you situation combined with your enthusiasm for being a “member” will bode well.  If you already talked to recon, then be patient.  If you got the “wait 3-5” from a regular rep, go ahead and call recon now.

Message 2 of 5
gatorlover
Contributor

Thanks! I've called the AmEx Recon number in the Backdoor Numbers thread, and have also called the number on the status check page. I'm not sure if this is "recon", but after I enter my information it says that the "Computer system our agents use to give you an update on this account is currently down, you can try again later, or to speak to a representative anyways says representative". So I chose to talk to one anwyays, and they gave me the initial shpiel which was that for "fraud reasons" they sepend time manually reviewing some applications, and that while mine may be taking longer than usual they will notify me of a decision via email/letter.

Are there any more targeted numbers to try for them? This seems like a script answer since I've gotten it twice now, the first time I called and this last time. Both times the agents said my application "looks excellent" and nothing else is needed from me.

Current

Starting (May 2020)

Reaching for 750+
Message 3 of 5
gatorlover
Contributor

Update: One of my cards just reported a balance change from $297 to $197, and a credit limit increase on the same card from $300 -> $500, and my Experian jumped up to 675 = ) 

All my other CLIs haven't even been reported yet! 

That card is actually at a $2 balance after I further paid it off recently, but I guess that hasn't been reported yet. Neither has the $2300 reduction in balance on my $4000 CL Dell Credit account (used it for promotional cash back offer on a TV).

So exciting to see scores going up!

Current

Starting (May 2020)

Reaching for 750+
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work!!

Gardening feels very rewarding when you see that score grow! 

I am sorry I don't know any other numbers for AMEX recon, sounds like you are stuck waiting for them Smiley Frustrated.  I do know they like people who understand, respect and are loyal to the brand. So, when you talk to them keep up the enthusiasm you have regarding becoming a "Member". 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.