Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myfico is Fako?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myfico is Fako?

Okay, I heard a lot about MyFico.  So I pull my scores to see what they were because I am preparing to buy a house.  After, pulling my scores and seeing the numbers I contacted a lender to start the pre-approval process.  My scores per myfico were 600 TU and 645 EQ.  When the lenders pulled my scores they were 599 EX - 645 EQ - 548 TU.   Please help understand why my TU scores are so low if myfico scores are suppose to be fico scores? Does myfico and fico use different fico calculations if so I feel as if I have been misled my myfico.  It seems as if myfico scores are just as FAKO as truecredit.
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Myfico is Fako?

Actually I am curious about this as well.

I emailed my mortgage guy last night after seeing the bump in my scores (trying to refi).

Anyway, he called me back and stated that my "middle" score - the score they used to approve the mortgage and calculate interest rate - was 650 so we were OK to go ahead with refi (my magic number for refi was 620).

I was confused because I pulled my TU and EQ yesterday and my TU was 648 and my EQ was 631.

According to these number it would be impossible for my "middle" score to be 650.

So...I am wondering the same thing - do lenders/creditors get different numbers? With mine, they don't seem to be that far off, but yours have a bigger discrepency.

Message 2 of 41
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

bunny0456 wrote:
Okay, I heard a lot about MyFico.  So I pull my scores to see what they were because I am preparing to buy a house.  After, pulling my scores and seeing the numbers I contacted a lender to start the pre-approval process.  My scores per myfico were 600 TU and 645 EQ.  When the lenders pulled my scores they were 599 EX - 645 EQ - 548 TU.   Please help understand why my TU scores are so low if myfico scores are suppose to be fico scores? Does myfico and fico use different fico calculations if so I feel as if I have been misled my myfico.  It seems as if myfico scores are just as FAKO as truecredit.

Nope. Not misled, but rather your lender happened to pull a version of the TU FICO score that does not match the version found on myFICO.

The only place you can get your TU FICO is from myFICO, transunioncs.com (note the -cs), and your lender. FICO every so often creates a new version of FICO score. In fact for TU, there is the TU98, TU04, and TU08 versions currently being used by lenders. TU08 was just introduced and you'd be hard-pressed to find a lender using it. MyFICO and Transunioncs.com both offer TU98, which until recently, was being used by most lenders. However, the TU04 version is now the most prevelant, and in your case, certainly differs. As you rate shop from lender to lender looking for the best deal, you'll run into one that still uses TU98.

Like with TU, EQ also has a couple of different versions floating out there. The only place you can get your EQ FICO is from Equifax.com, myFICO, and your lender. The version used by Equifax and myFICO are the most popular with lenders. In your case it matched. There's also Beacon 9.0 and the new mortgage-enhanced EQ FICO score. Both were introduced this year and you won't likely find it while rate shopping.

Finally, There are a couple of versions of EX FICO out there. You can get your EX FICO only from your lender and from a CU in PA called PSECU. Most lenders will use the version sold by that CU.

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lender used Transunion, FICO Classic 04.  What does Myfico use TUO8 if so, why would they use TU08 when Classic 04 is "the most prevelant"?

I stand by my belief MYFICO is a FAKO!

Message 4 of 41
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My lender used Transunion, FICO Classic 04.  What does Myfico use TUO8 if so, why would they use TU08 when Classic 04 is "the most prevelant"?

You stand alone.  Sorry.
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 41
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

bunny0456 wrote:

TU98 is used on myFICO...not TU08.

To each his own, I guess. I bet your opinion would be different if the scores matched.

Why isn't myFICO offering TU04? I don't know. I wish they would sell all the score versions. I'd gladly pay to have access to that info, especially at mortgage time. I suspect there's some contractual issues at play. TU delivers the data to myFICO. It could be that there's a restriction placed by TU that prevents myFICO from selling a newer version. I do know that each CRA, including TU, sunk money into the VantageScore to try to compete. Opening up TU04 would compete with that.

Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be sorry!  It only takes one.

Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for being a professional.  You have really helped me understand the myfico system better.  Big ups to you!

Message 8 of 41
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't be sorry!  It only takes one.

I wasn't sorry for me, I only said that to make you understand that you were dismissing the knowledge of one of the most well versed members here.  There are a handful who really know their stuff and as a newcomer, it might be a good idea to listen to what the pros have to say.  That's all.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 41
marty56
Super Contributor

If you focus on working on increasing you credit scores, regardless of which version of a FICO score the lender is using, your scores will take care of themselves.

An import difference between a FAKO score and any version of a FICO score is that any action that improves your score here will probably have a positive effect on any version of your FICO score or at least not lower it.  The same can't said for FAKO scores and the advice given by the sites wwho produce them.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.