Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBC News: Life in the 300s

tag
NBCNewsBill

NBC News: Life in the 300s

Hi there, 

For an upcoming story at NBC News.com, we're seeking to interview someone with a FICO score in or near the 300s. The tone of the web story is this: Millions of Americans survive just fine, thank you, with a FICO score below 400. Sure, they're probably working to address it. But what they're not doing is losing sleep over their number or letting it ruin their days. In short, we're looking to interview someone with a low-low number who embodies the sentiment: "I am not my credit score!"

If you are interested in commenting for this article, I am hoping to do the phone interview this week about both your steadfast philosophy as well as about how you navigate life with that number. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Mike_C
Administrator Emeritus

Re: NBC News: Life in the 300s

For those curious, Bill has indeed gotten into contact with the PR at myFICO and we understand the potential of him trying to interview someone from these forums. I recommend you PM him if you do not want to discuss a 300-range score openly in the forums.

Message 2 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for coming by the forums Bill, hopefully you will find what you're looking for.  I'm also hoping that anyone that does qualify for your story will get busy with us and no longer fit into this category.

Coming from the 500s myself, I found difficulty with my finances.  I was mostly living on a cash basis.  I was able to get a couple of car loans at a ridiculous rate, but otherwise, no credit for several years.  With the help of the myFICO family, those days are behind me.  Now I realize it's not about just "Credit", it's about financial education and security.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 18
NBCNewsBill

Thank you. I'm so glad to read you've increased that score. 

So far, my reporting (not via this forum) has turned up two people who have substantially elevated their scores, one from the 300s, another from the 500s following bankruptcy. For the article, I'd like to speak to someone who is beginning that journey. Still looking.

Appreciate the comment. 

- Bill 

Message 4 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to move this post to one of our other boards.  I feel that it will get buried in here, so I'll give it an opportunity and a bump in our Rebuilding Your Credit threads.  Best of luck to you!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 18
NBCNewsBill

Thanks for being so helpful in my quest to speak to someone for this article. -- Bill 

Message 6 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

In late May/early June of 2012 I began my credit rebuild from scores below 540.  I often thought that I was more than my credit score but its amazing how many things are influenced by it once you know where to look.  Scores that low mean you typically dont have credit cards (which I did not at the time).  This creates problems with travel and securing hotel/car rentals.  Not to mention the problems that you have with higher insurance rates, job expense reimbursement issues, difficulty renting apartments (probably the biggest pain people have with really low scores), inability to get car/home loans, etc.

I do wish you the best with your story but I hope it doesnt end up conveying the message that credit scores dont matter.  I thought they didnt when I was sub 540's....I was wrong.  Its not a measure of a person but it does have lasting impacts on your future if you continue to ignore it.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
NBCNewsBill

Thank you for the input.

No, the story won't carry the tone that scores don't matter. Quite the contrary - as one credit counselor told me - they matter more post-recession: beyond purchasing and rental ability to auto insurance rates and, in some cases, employment. I will hit that point yet also allow a consumer or two to talk about the purposeful psychology of not allowing their numbers to define them or to drastically sway their overall mood or optimism - quite a challenge when scores do mean a great deal. 

For now, I'm seeking someone who is currently working with a low-low number and who is willing to share that viewpoint (if they have it) with our readers. 

Bill 

Message 8 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Not sure of your deadline, but if you monitor this site for any period of time you will find someone in that boat.  Many of us here were at that point in our credit journey.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 18
NBCNewsBill

Good idea.

Don't want to overstep solicitation rules here. Is it acceptable to reach out to someone who is in that camp to ask if they would want to speak to me, a journalist? 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.