cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCO Financial

tag
Bmichael78

NCO Financial

i keep getting calls from NCO Financial. I have my credit reports from June of 13' and have just pulled all three credit reports a few weeks ago. NCO Financial isn't even listed as one of my negs. Upon further research, they have quite a lot of complaints logged with the BBB, the RipOff Report etc as being pretty ruthless. I've spent the last 3 months paying off old medical collections and making payments to other CA's to finally start clearing up all this medical debt since I'm out of the hospital and going back to work. Why would this company be calling me if they currently aren't, and in the past haven't, even been mentioned on my credit reports except for in the inquiry section. It looks like they checked my report three times since 2011. I really don't want to deal with these people on the phone. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
gypsymama
Established Member

Re: NCO Financial

DV them

Cap One Secured $200; Fingerhut $250; Venus $250; VS $500
Message 2 of 26
Bmichael78

Even if they aren't showing up on my credit report?  I haven't even heard what the alleged debt is for. Should I ask them on the phone the next time they call, or just write them?

Message 3 of 26
gypsymama
Established Member

Hmm... I don't have experience with this company so I can't say for sure how helpful they will be. I asked for info on the phone for my medical debts and they gave me all the info I needed but I was dealing with small local CA's. We have 3 collections for medical bills from NCO on my husband's report and I found the OC info on the report. When I get to those I plan to call the OC directly first and hope I can get them to pull the accounts and take the money. Is the OC on your report? I'd try that first if not send a DV in the mail or I guess you could ask for OC info on the phone. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Cap One Secured $200; Fingerhut $250; Venus $250; VS $500
Message 4 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Their initial communication with you triggered their requirement to have sent you formal dunning notice with 5 days thereafter, providing you the name of the current owner of the debt, and advising you of your DV rights. Thus, you may have a side-issue of their lack of compliance with their dunning notice requirement.

Ragardless, I would not necessarily recommend sending a DV.  It depends upon your cirsumstances and needs.

Any DV you send at this point would apparently be timely (i.e., sent either prior to any dunning notice, or within 30 days of receipt of dunning notice), and thus will impose an automatic cease collection bar on them until such time as they chosse to provide the requested debt valiation.

That will temporarily block their reporting to the CRA, but they can, at any time, send verification, and immediately report their collection.

It will also block their ability to negotiate any terms of payment of the debt, such as pay for not reporting offer.

You will thus be in limbo, as you cannot negotiate anything with them until they first provide verification, thus removing the cease collection activity bar.

An option, if you dont contest the validity of the debt itself, would be to offer payment now in exchange for their agreement not to report their collection.

As for pursing collection on the debt without having reported to a CRA, that is their option.

Perhaps they plan to use reporting as a tactic to apply pressure to pay, in which case they may have anticiipated a pay for not reporting offer.

Or perhaps they are concerned about having to delete their prior reproting as a condition for payment of the debt, which is contrary to CRA policy.

By having no reporting to agree to delete, they avoid any possible issue of violating their credit reporting agrerment with the CRA.

Message 5 of 26
Bmichael78

They aren't even listed on my credit reports, so no I have no info about the OC at all. It's very odd. They're a nationwide CA and they collect various debts. Thanks for replying though gypsymama Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 26
Bmichael78

Thanks RobertEG! I'm going to see if they call back and then ask who the OC is. I just get nervous talking to CA's because I'm new at all this and I don't want to say something wrong.

Message 7 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I certainly understand your reluctance, as it is will advised to take caution when speaking to a debt collector.

If you keep two rules in mind, you should be ok.  First, do not discuss or admit to the validity of the debt.  You are only seeking options and information.

Second, make no firm offers to pay, regardless of any offers they might make.

You have the opportunity to first advise them that you are aware that they have not complied with dunning notice requirement, and remind them of that statutory obligation.

You can attempt to get more info, such as the name of the OC, that might refresh your recollection as a legit debt.

if theY refuse to give you that information, then request for the name of the OC can be included as part of a DV, should you decide to take that route, and they must then comply as part of any validation.

If you then recognize the debt as legit, that is information that will steer your next step, such as a possible DV.

You may be able to forgo a DV if they are forthcoming with info.

Message 8 of 26
Tksjmommy

I would ask them what account it is? Make sure it's still within the statue of limitation, and if not tell them that and to stop calling you. They have tried that with me for a debt over 10 years old!
On the road to credit recovery! MY FICO Scores
03/06/2014 Ex 624 EQ 576 TU 599
02/13/2015 EX 605 EQ 603 TU 605
Mortgage lender pulls on 2/6/2015
TU 660 EX623 EQ 597
Message 9 of 26
Bmichael78

im not sure what the SOL for a medical debt is in Ohio. I've seen 6 years, 7 and 15!  

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.