Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCO

tag
itsmebkt
Established Member

NCO

Hello all...

A couple of nights ago, I received a call, out of the blue, from NCO.

After a few minutes of getting them to be straight with me about why they were calling, they informed me that they received an account from Cap1 re: an old Best Buy card I had 16 years ago.  They gave me the balance and gave me a settlement offer. 

Since I've been monitoring my credit report dilligently for the past several months, this account appears no where on it, nor have I seen an credit inquiries from them or Cap1, or anything else that looked out of the ordinary.

I requested the information in writing while I look thru my records and I should be receiving that information within the week.  An initial look thru my records did not bring up any results, so it's entirely possible that I had forgotten about this account when I took care of most of my past due debt a couple of years ago.

What is the recommended way of handling this?  If it's truly owed, I want to get it taken care of, but more importantly, I want to avoid any credit inquiries from them.

Should I contact Cap1, since they now own the Best Buy cards or just deal with NCO?

Thanks in advance!

05/16/13 - TU FICO: 669 (from MyFico)
05/14/13 - EQ FICO: 657 (from MyFico)
05/28/13 - EQ: 571 EX: 661 TU: 638 (EIDT FAKOs)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: NCO

If this was from 16 years ago it would not have been on your report for many, many years.  And your state SOL has expired.

They can attempt to collect forever, including pulling your CR. 

I would send them a DV and see what happens.

Did you have a Best Buy CC 16 years ago?

Message 2 of 11
itsmebkt
Established Member

@guiness56 wrote:

If this was from 16 years ago it would not have been on your report for many, many years.  And your state SOL has expired.

They can attempt to collect forever, including pulling your CR. 

I would send them a DV and see what happens.

Did you have a Best Buy CC 16 years ago?

Thanks for the reply.  

Yes, I did have a Best Buy card, but thought it was paid off a long time ago.  However, I have no documentation supporting that. 

Is it possible they could be attempting to collect on interest?

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Anything is possible when it comes to a CA.

Did you already send the DV?  If not, write it to include you want an itemization of the debt.  They have to give that to you.

If you paid it, then it was paid and they would not be able to collect any more from you.

Message 4 of 11
itsmebkt
Established Member

@guiness56 wrote:

Did you already send the DV?  If not, write it to include you want an itemization of the debt.  They have to give that to you.

If you paid it, then it was paid and they would not be able to collect any more from you.

I have not yet sent a DV, but will working one up tonight.. Thanks for the advice!

Message 5 of 11
itsmebkt
Established Member

@itsmebkt wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

I have not yet sent a DV, but will working one up tonight.. Thanks for the advice!

I found this example of a DV here on the forum.  Is this going overboard for a DV request?

EXAMPLE DV LETTER:

Your Name
Your Address
YourTown,, State ZipCode

Debt Collection Company Name
Their address
Town, State ZipCode

Date:

Re: Debt Collection Company Name; Acct # Debt Collection Company #; Original Creditor Name; OC Acct #

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on DATE. Be advised that this is a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.
This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for FULL MEDIA VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that (a) the account is valid, (b) the amount allegedly owed is accurate, and (c) I have a contractual obligation to pay Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt.
All of the following MUST be provided to adequately validate the authenticity of the alleged debt AND provide proof of my contractual obligation to Debt Collection Company Name for this alleged debt:
• Signed credit application between myself and the original creditor
• Copies of all signed vouchers from the date account was opened until default
• Copies of all statements from the date account opened until default
• Proof of the statute of limitations
• Proof of agreement that you were hired by the Original creditor (creditor as defined by the FDCPA) or
• A copy of the contract Debt Collection Company Name purchased the alleged debt.
• If the alleged debt was purchased, provide a copy of an agreement between Debt Collection Company Name and myself, signed by me, stating that I have a contractual responsibility to Debt Collection Company Name for the alleged debt
• Provide proof that Debt Collection Company Name is bonded/Licensed for debt collecting in the State of Your State
Be advised that failing to provide ALL of the media requested to validate the alleged debt will invalidate any and all claims Debt Collection Company Name is asserting regarding this alleged debt. If Debt Collection Company Name can NOT provide all of the validation media requested above, ALL collection efforts MUST be stopped and the account MUST be DELETED from the Debt Collection Company Name. If you can NOT validate your claim, you can NOT, by law, collect on it, or SELL it to another collection agency. Also, reporting a debt to the credit reporting agencies that can not be validated is a violation of the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), and carries a $2500 fine to be paid to me. I have two years to decide if I want to pursue this matter. PLEASE GIVE THIS MATTER THE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.
If your offices are able to provide all of the validating media as requested, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information, and during such time, all collection activity must cease and desist.
I am also stating, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment, and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by United States Postal Service.

Best Regards,

Your Name TYPED (Do Not Sign)

Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That is not a good DV.  They do not need to provide those things.

You contacted me concerning an alleged debt, account #_______.  Per FDCPA 809 please validate.  Include an itemization of said debt.

Message 7 of 11
itsmebkt
Established Member

@guiness56 wrote:

You contacted me concerning an alleged debt, account #_______.  Per FDCPA 809 please validate.  Include an itemization of said debt.

Sounds good.  Thanks again!

Message 8 of 11
itsmebkt
Established Member

@itsmebkt wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Sounds good.  Thanks again!

I wanted to give an update on this issue and get some additional info.

I sent the DV letter via CMRRR around August 1st and as of today, have not heard anything back from them, either by letter or by phone.

After they receive the DV letter, how long do they have to respond and what happens if they never respond?

Thank you again!

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They never have to respond to a DV.  They are prohibited from continuing collection activity until they do.

Once they receive the DV, until they validate, they cannot contact you in any way, including mail and phone calls.

Did you get the green card back?  When did they sign for it?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.