Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCSECU is suing me...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NCSECU is suing me...

Okay, so the North Carolina State Employees' Credit Union is suing me for a past due credit card (balance is like $3,600) and I'm pretty far behind. I did make a $300 payment back in January.

I guess I want to know what my options are at this point? Is there any way to work with the bank directly to offer maybe $1,000 up front and then get on an automatic payment plan of some sort until the balance is paid in full + the costs of court in exchange for them dropping the lawsuit? I really do not want a judgment against me but I do not have $3,000+ up front to pay that in full to make this all go away. Aside from this credit card with them, I also have an auto loan and a personal loan with them that has always been current, never late (automatic payments...which is what I should have done all along with this stupid credit card...)!

Advice? I don't know what to do. The Sheriff served the "papers" on my dad, which was just a Summons that said the promissory note was attached, which it wasn't, so my dad basically freaked out. The court date in front of the magistrate is like March 10th or somewhere around there but there is no way I'm taking off work to go.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: NCSECU is suing me...

You need to get this settled before March 10th, like TODAY. 

If you ignore the summons and don't show up, they will win a default judgment and probably garnishment.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know... which is what I'm asking... HOW do I take care of this??

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were to offer them $1k up front, they will very likely accept it and put you on a payment plan. Get the offer in place before the court date and make sure they will dismiss the case. You definitely want to try to keep the judgment off your reports.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pick up the phone and call them. There will be contact information on the summons.

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

My  recommendation to someone who is being sued is to find and talk with qualified legal counsel.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.