cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP! Collection Account about to drop off October 1st.

tag
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

NEED HELP! Collection Account about to drop off October 1st.

Hi Everyone,

I have a charge off account that will drop off on October first.  However, I am needing it to drop off before that time.  Is there a way that I can make this happen.

I thought about going ahead and paying it but if I do that then it will reactivate the account and show as a paid negative and  most likely will remain for another 7 years.  Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: NEED HELP! Collection Account about to drop off October 1st.

Call the CRA and request an early exclusion.

Paying will not "reset" the exclusion date.

The FCRA (see section 605(c)) sets a maximum exclusion date based only on the DOFD on the OC account.

It can remain no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.  The CRA estimated exclusion date is normally provided at 7 years from DOFD.

Message 2 of 7
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much Robert.  

I will do this tomorrow.

Message 3 of 7
_NERD
Established Contributor

Please let us know what happens. Good luck Derrick.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 4 of 7
ddemari
Super Contributor

Is the collection reporting to all three CRA's? TU would drop it FAST for you by doing an online request. 

EQ- is the hardest. They wouldnt budge on removing a 7 year old charge off until literally the day it was supposed to fall off.

EX- is hard but they seem to be somewhat workable. 

Id recommend doing EQ and EX via snail mail and not online. TU can be done online, they are so easy to work with. 

Message 5 of 7
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

^

Agreed a dispute with TU online. I've had luck with disputing EX(1 month before drop off) and EQ(throw a dart at the calendar) via phone.
Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 6 of 7
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

Hi Ddemari.   Thanks for replying and sorry for the delay.  Yes, it is showiing on all of my credit reports.  I disputed it online with all three but the utility company only updated it.

However, it still shows as 10/2008 as the date they put it on my credit report. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.