Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP - Post Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEED HELP - Post Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

I am 24 years old and currently active duty in the Navy. I became very free with credit cards and spending, as most younger individuals do, and I basically screwed myself. I was married and kept all loans, credit cards, etc. in my name so when I filed for an uncontested divorce in January 2016, I was overwhelmed with debt and decided to file for chapter 7 bankruptcy in the same month.  I received my discharge letter in May, so I'm just over a month post-discharge.

My TU score is 585 and my EQ score is 581 (from Credit Karma).  I've been doing so much research into rebuilding, but I'm even getting denied for secured credit cards.  Any information or assistance would be more appreciated than I could possibly put into words.

5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NEED HELP - Post Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

@Anonymous wrote:

I am 24 years old and currently active duty in the Navy. I became very free with credit cards and spending, as most younger individuals do, and I basically screwed myself. I was married and kept all loans, credit cards, etc. in my name so when I filed for an uncontested divorce in January 2016, I was overwhelmed with debt and decided to file for chapter 7 bankruptcy in the same month.  I received my discharge letter in May, so I'm just over a month post-discharge.

My TU score is 585 and my EQ score is 581 (from Credit Karma).  I've been doing so much research into rebuilding, but I'm even getting denied for secured credit cards.  Any information or assistance would be more appreciated than I could possibly put into words.

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

First thing you need to do is make sure the BK is reporting as discharged and all your accounts that were IIB are reporting as such, they should say IIB 0 balance due, they can report the history of the accounts prior to the month of BK filing but cannot say anything is late from the month of the BK filing forward. Once all this is in order then you can try the secured cards again. You can get an Open Sky secured without a credit check and I would do so ASAP. Credit Unions also are more willing to work with people after BK than commercial banks. The exception is Cap-1 as long as you didnt IIB them.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a thread in this section, listed below. It provides information and one perspective of how one can move forward. I say one perspective because We are all different with unique circumstances and needs.

* I would suggest you look at it, and reflect on what actions you have taken, and how it compares and contrasts with you currently.

Also, not much can be specifically commented based upon the lack of info you provided above.  However, you "do" need to pull your credit report for each agency and take action to ensure that it is accurately reflecting your data.  Secondly, you need a more accurate tool for your scores as opposed to Credit Karma.  Getting something for free is just that free (aka garbage)  If you are paying for something, you are expecting to receive value in return.  * Take care

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less! by SoulMaster

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would suggest starting off by getting a secured card through Open Sky. Once that is on your reports for a couple of months apply for a Capital One card. see how it goes from there.

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Norman makes a good suggestion, in starting with a rebuilding card, and working hard at growing it, then allow that to open the doors for more.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a thread in this section, listed below. It provides information and one perspective of how one can move forward. I say one perspective because We are all different with unique circumstances and needs.

* I would suggest you look at it, and reflect on what actions you have taken, and how it compares and contrasts with you currently.

Also, not much can be specifically commented based upon the lack of info you provided above.  However, you "do" need to pull your credit report for each agency and take action to ensure that it is accurately reflecting your data.  Secondly, you need a more accurate tool for your scores as opposed to Credit Karma.  Getting something for free is just that free (aka garbage)  If you are paying for something, you are expecting to receive value in return.  * Take care

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less! by SoulMaster

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Soulmasters guide is good, BUT, it relies on beginning with CreditOne - I do not reccomend CreditOne under any circumstances. OpenSky and Cap One are just as good to start out with. I also disagree with his "usage" advice.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.