Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP!!!!!!!

tag
JFJ
Established Member

NEED HELP!!!!!!!

is it legal for a collection agency to verify a debt over the phone?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: NEED HELP!!!!!!!

It depends.  Did they tell you who they were, the amount of the debt and to whom owed, mini miranda, that you have 30 days to dispute the debt or any portion of it, that you have 30 days to ask for the name and address of the OC?

Message 2 of 10
JFJ
Established Member

@guiness56 wrote:

It depends.  Did they tell you who they were, the amount of the debt and to whom owed, mini miranda, that you have 30 days to dispute the debt or any portion of it, that you have 30 days to ask for the name and address of the OC?

the agency did provide the amount of dept and to whom it is owed, the dates of service, but no 30 day to dispute. neither did i agree to to dept

Message 3 of 10
JFJ
Established Member

DEBT DEBT DEBT

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 5 of 10
JFJ
Established Member

so is 30 days the time span for the CA to reply, before i can request a deletion?

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, the 30 days is for you to send a written DV request.  They have no time to reply and they don't have to.  They cannot continue collection activity until they do.  This means no phone calls, no reporting to the CRAs, no letters, etc.

Message 7 of 10
JFJ
Established Member

can the account be deleted?

Message 8 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@JFJ wrote:

Some of my DV letters in my dark credit days resulted in the CA deleting. However, they don't have to delete if mailed after the 30 days. If the DV is mailed inside the 30 days from their initial letter then a legal argument can be made they have to delete, or verify.

Message 9 of 10
JFJ
Established Member

@llecs wrote:

@JFJ wrote:

Some of my DV letters in my dark credit days resulted in the CA deleting. However, they don't have to delete if mailed after the 30 days. If the DV is mailed inside the 30 days from their initial letter then a legal argument can be made they have to delete, or verify.

thanks

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.