cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NELNET help needed. Trying to remove negative reporting

tag
hd_apk

NELNET help needed. Trying to remove negative reporting

I have read through most of the NELNET threads here and have to say I'm not very confident, but I'll try anyway.

Here is my situation: NELNET purchased my student load from Direct Loan, I wasn't aware and wasn't paying. Once I noticed the 60/90/120 days late on my credit, I contacted NELNET and adjusted the terms, and made a payment to begin fresh. That was 1 month ago and I am about to make my SECOND payment.

Should I send my GW letter now, or wait another month? I feel I have a strong case for them to remove as they didn't do their due deligence in contacting me, as Direct Loan DID have my current contact information. If NELNET isn't willing I will most likely dispute it with the CRAs.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 524
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: NELNET help needed. Trying to remove negative reporting

I would work with NELNET and leave the CRAs out of the picture. 

I hear others that went through the Ombudsman and got good results.

Message 2 of 9
hd_apk

Thanks. I've been reading the information on ombudsman FAQ, it seems their thoughts on credit reporting disputes involves the CRAs. 

I don't dispute the interest, balance, etc... just want to know when is the best time to take on the derogatory entries on my report. I hope to avoid the CRAs as you mentioned. 

Message 3 of 9
earlyKY
Regular Contributor

Good luck! I was basically in the same situation as you, and they flat out refused to remove the lates.... they even had the incorrect phone number and address listed but still did not deem that reason enough to change any of the reported lates

Message 4 of 9
hd_apk

How long did you persue this? I've seen that the success rate is about 50/50 on different forums. Some people it took loknger than others.

Isn't incorrect information on the entry grounds for it being removed by the CRA?

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, it is grounds for removal.

The lates would be valid lates because you didn't pay on time, whether you knew or not.  Seems ludicrous but that is how it is.

I would try the GW route with them due to your not being informed and see if they will work with you.

Message 6 of 9
earlyKY
Regular Contributor

Well, that's what I thought too, but they said that I should have taken the initiative to find out who purchased my loan. Basically because I wasn't still in school or in the military there wasn't any excuse good enough (even when they are the ones who made the mistake) for them to remove the lates.

If you have better luck than me, let me know!!

Message 7 of 9
hd_apk

I will let you know. I actually took a college course to graduate in the summer, which should have pushed my start date out 3-4 months. I am going to try to use that as my main complaint. 

Message 8 of 9
maneo33
New Visitor

I tried the same with Nelnet and had zero luck.  About 2 years ago I was 90+ days late on a payment, they had the wrong email, phone number, etc.  I just forgot to pay it,stupidity on my part.  But when I questioned why no one tried to contact me they said it should be my responsiblity to know what bills need to be paid.   I tried some GW letters at about 6 months and 1 year to no avail.  They told me since they were accurate late payments, they would not remove.   Going to try again now at 2 years to see if they will help now.   It is super fustrating to deal with Nelnet and by far they were the worse company I had to deal with when trying to remove late payments from my credit.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.