cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEVER give up hope! My 12 month journey was a screaming success.

tag
edcb
Contributor

NEVER give up hope! My 12 month journey was a screaming success.

I was fortunate to come from a financially savvy family but also one that really failed to teach me about credit.  At 20 I got sick and amassed significant medical debt that would continue until about age 25.  I never had a credit card so I had horrible credit and couldn't even finance a car at a reasonable interest rate.  And then...I became a Mom.  And then a single Mom.

July 2013- 29 years old.  My daughter needed/deserved a forever home.  A mortgage broker pulled my scores and  was surprsed that with older medical debt falling off I had 2 scores in the low 600's and one just shy of 600.  I put it in my pocket for later use.

December 2013 - my first Cap1 credit card with a $300 limit arrived in the mail.  It was a Journey card with minimal benefits.  I found myFico and started cleaning.  

March 2013 - second Cap1 cc (Quicksilver) with a $700 limit arrived.

April/May - Chase issued me a Freedom at 2k (likely because we had a long standing relationship and I had assets with them, my scores were still too low for one) and my Journey went to $1,800 and then Quickzilver to $1,500.

August- Chase took my Freedom to $3,000 without me asking.  Pre-approval for the house with one score in the 700's.  Got an invite to CSP.

December 2014- Closed on the house.  Got an $8,000 CSP.  2/3 scores in the 700's.  My house has a detached duplex that covers all but $300 of the mortgage with taxes and insurance included and next year I can raise the rent on one unit and lower that to $200/month.  

Smiley Happy  Life is good and it's amazing how different my financial situation is now.  I spent HOURS on the rebuilding forum reading, learning, acting and it all paid off in a time frame that wasn't near as long as some would have thought.  And along the way my boyfriend, who had no debt but was literally a zero credit score, has scores that straddle 690/700 on any given day because I started by adding him as an AU, and then got him a Journey, and now he has a nice little collection of Chase and Discover cards as well.

Stay the course, my friends!

In the garden until October 2015!

Journey began 12/13
My wallet: Cap1 Journey (12/13) $4,800 - Cap1 QS (3/14) $1,500 - Chase Freedom (5/14) $3,000 - Chase CSP (12/14) $8,000

Closed on my primary home and income property in December 2014!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NEVER give up hope! My 12 month journey was a screaming success.

Grats to all your success and enjoy your new home Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
REALISTICLYSPEAKING2014
New Contributor

Congrats to you on your progress! Your a great mom and you have done an amazing job!

Smiley Happy

Myfico scores 1.9.15 EQ 657 EX 688 TU 700
NFCU Plat Visa 15,000 | NFCU Cash rewards 15,000 | Lowes 7500 | Fingerhut 1100 | Amazon Store Card 1,500 | Discover IT 1300 | CAP 1 Qsilver 1300 | JC Pennys 1500 | Dressbarn 1100 | Walmart 2500 | Kays Jewelers 500} Mattress One 4500 \ Ashley Furniture 1500 \ American Home Furnishing 2000
Loans:
NFCU Auto 30,000 | NFCU Nav check 15,000 | NFCU Debt Cons 4100 |

Message 3 of 7
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

That's quite a story. Kudos, thanks for sharing, and enjoy your new home and new stability.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks bc I have been quite discouraged...all three credit scores are in the low 600's....took a financial hit and one of my limits on my barclay credit card decreased...trying to buy a house and it has been a tough, frustrating, and very slow...it is a great thing that your significant other has you....thanks for sharing....
Message 5 of 7
Horrace36
New Contributor

That is awesome!. Congrats on all fronts.

Message 6 of 7
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Great story! You have done all the right things. You were lucky that once you started digging in, you really didn't have baddies to deal with anymore, just the credit history issue. Thus, you were able to make very rapid progress. Very, very exciting about the home mortgage being no burdon. You are in excellent shape! :-) Congratulations!

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.