Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW MEMBER/STUDENT PLEASE HELP!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEW MEMBER/STUDENT PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hi guys i am new to how this credit world work, in short i am currently attendin school in California (far from my hometown in SA, TX)

I joined Myfico and got my TU and Equifax reports I being naive to have ever checked either discovered the followinng:

A Charge off from 2005 which would have made me 16 at the Time, found out it was my brothers account and I was an authorized user is this legal

5 INQS that were not mine- AMEX, HSBC, CITI, DISCOVER, And GEMB/WALMART

i didnt apply to any

my Fico are 620 TU an 627 EQ what can i do please help a 20 yeaer old college student

I do have 1 CC thru Wells Fargo my bank

and 2 Student Loands 1-10,000 and the 2nd-20,000

Also how can i raise my score?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: NEW MEMBER/STUDENT PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hi, USF12!  Welcome to the forum!

That charge off is hurting you somewhat, but you can easily remove that from your reports by letting the credit bureaus know that it is not your account. 

As to the inquiries, you don't recognize any of them?  No online apps to these lenders at any time?  Not doubting you, it's just that sometimes it's easy to forget an app if you didn't get the card.  What are the dates for these inquiries?

If these are not yours, perhaps your brother apped these places?  I'd ask him. 

Others will chime in here in a bit for further input, I gotta go somewhere and right now...

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No he passed away sometime agoSmiley Sad But i DEFF did not app these, they all ranged from Dec 2009 to April 2009 i have only one cc with Wellsfargo who i bank with, and gave me a generous 4,500 CL which not bad for a student! I know my scores and credit file is thin, thus i AM CERTAIN NO ONLINE APPS pre-med is tough enough!

Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums, USF12!

I'm sorry for your loss! Since your questions center around "fixing" your credit, I'm going to move your thread to the Rebuilding Your Credit forum. 

Message 4 of 7
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's passing.  That's a tough break.

USF12, sounds like somebody, somewhere has your social security number and maybe some other personal information.  I really don't have any experience in dealing with this, perhaps another member here can be more helpful.

My first inclination, though,  would be to contact each of these lenders to learn more about these apps, and to inform them that you did not ever apply for anything with them.  I'd speak to their fraud departments.  They will be very interested in helping you with this.

You may also want to get these inquiries removed, even though after a year they are not affecting your credit score.  

Consider yourself lucky that accounts weren't actually opened in your name.   That would be one heckuva mess. 

Good luck with everything, and please stick around on these forums...you'll learn plenty about credit matters here!

Edit 05/26/10:  I'm a little confused...your info has changed a bit within the past week.   Which thread is accurate? 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This one is accurate, sorry guys have been away for sometime FINALS! But THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I got everything on all reports cleared up, frozen, inqs removed! Wrote letters before even AMEX said sorry, I filed the formal letter with www.ftc.gov and sent it in. Also got police report and sent all in, before the CRA even recieved the stuff pretty much every creditor that was illegal INQ, and TL removed just with letters. Oh well scary and hope it never happens again, anyone suggest a Credit protection program service, or is that over kill with the FREEZE.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

WOW USF!  Well done!

You did absolutely the right things!

You are the victem of identity theft, and the very first thing to do to combat this is to file a police report, which then gives you, under the various provisions of FCRA 605(B), the ability to freeze the impact of fraudulent reporting to a CRA by providing them a copy of your "identity theft report" (police report) under FCRA 603(q)(4).

Not shabby work for one who proclaims to be a credit novice!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.