Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Decline

tag
erinbean28
Valued Member

NFCU Decline

My Equifax FICO 8 score is reading at 620 presently, so I decided to bite the bullet last week and applied for the NFCU Flagship Rewards CC. I was instantly declined for the card and have been waiting patiently for the explanation letter in the mail.

I received the letter yesterday and it stated that my credit score was a 511. I was shocked! I came back onto the MyFico site and re-checked - looks like my FICO Score 5 lists my credit as a 511 (it says this score is most commonly used for mortgage lending). I now have two questions:

1. Why such a discrepency between my FICO 8 score and my FICO 5 score?

2. Why would NFCU choose the score used for mortgage lending vs. FICO 8?

Any help is much appreciated!

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: Equifax 693, Transunion 697, Experian 689
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Decline

From what I understand the FICO 8 puts less emphasis on medical debt, and smaller debts. If your derogs are smaller and mostly medical that may be the reason for the large difference.

It seems like some smaller institutions like CUs tend to rely on one score for all of their credit decisions - so if they do mortgages its probably going to be the Fico 5 (TU) or FICO 4 (EX) or FICO 2 (EQ). Probably costs them less money that way.

Message 2 of 4
erinbean28
Valued Member

I only have one derog at this time, it is an old collections account from TimeWarner Cable. I am working on getting that ding removed, but the collections company is refusing a PFD. I am going to try another route.

Thank you for your imput.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: Equifax 693, Transunion 697, Experian 689
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What current accounts do you have?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.