Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Nightmare

tag
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Nightmare

NFCU decided to freeze all my accounts out of the blue until I provide them with a DD-214, proof of address, and proof of income. My wife figured this out when she needed gas to get home and only had NFCU credit and debit cards on her and was 30 miles from home.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: NFCU Nightmare

Are their issues of truthfulness or accuracy in information they relied upon when granting the accounts/credit?

What is their underlying reason?

They may or may not have legitimate basis, depending upon their reasons.  Consulting an attorney may be a good step if you feel they lack legal basis for denying account access......

Message 2 of 48
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Are their issues of truthfulness or accuracy in information they relied upon when granting the accounts/credit?

What is their underlying reason?

They may or may not have legitimate basis, depending upon their reasons.  Consulting an attorney may be a good step if you feel they lack legal basis for denying account access......

They said my account came up for review and they had two concerns: 1) they said my physical address does not verify as valid. This happens to me often because I live in a rural area where there is no postal service, I get my mail in a PO Box. 2) my membership application had a field left blank in the eligability section (I applied over the phone and answered all the questions I was asked).

They said once an account is frozen for possible fraud, they must question everything, therefore the income and employment info too.

I understand that they want to verify the information, and I am getting everything together ASAP. I am just shocked they shut down my accounts without notice and left me pretty stranded out of the blue without first calling me and discussing it. I wonder if they will even honor the checks I have written thus far.

Message 3 of 48
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

I think the worst thing for me is that I have moved all my accounts to NFCU. My direct deposit now goes there, I switched all my accounts to them and get all setup and felt like I really found a bank I could trust and enjoy to work with... then bam, nope, cannot count on them. I feel defeated.

Message 4 of 48
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Banks and CUs in general ( not just NFCU ) are much more assertive in their fraud prevention activities, which includes things like validating invalid addresses, etc...   I'm sure that one they have received your information they will process it and reactivate your accounts.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 48
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Banks and CUs in general ( not just NFCU ) are much more assertive in their fraud prevention activities, which includes things like validating invalid addresses, etc...   I'm sure that one they have received your information they will process it and reactivate your accounts.....

I hope so, I sent them a 20 page fax at 6 am this morning with all the records they wanted... waiting to hear back, still no access.

Message 6 of 48
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@ficojoe wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

I hope so, I sent them a 20 page fax at 6 am this morning with all the records they wanted... waiting to hear back, still no access.

Still no access. You would think when you decide to "freeze" all of your customer's assets that if you cared about keeping the customer, verification of this sort would be expedited. I know I wasted no time in gathering and faxing the documents they requested.

Message 7 of 48
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

ficojoe, sorry to hear about that. are you in nc? if you are i know someome that works at nfcu in nc.

Message 8 of 48
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I hope they get you unfroze quick.   Kind of holding you hostage right now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 48
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

ficojoe, sorry to hear about that. are you in nc? if you are i know someome that works at nfcu in nc.

I do not have a branch near me. That was one of the things the fraud department seemed interested in durring my interrogation. 

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.