Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Nightmare

tag
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU Nightmare

@Claymore wrote:

I am a NFCU member. Yes, you apply online... but you still have to make your way to a branch for signatures, ID, etc. Perhaps you didn't do this quickly enough? They are a good credit union. Signatures must be on file for all accounts... evn accounts opened online must be verified in person. I hurts right now, but imagine if somebody opened the account saying they were you. You would be really upset that nobody at the CU verified the veracity of your ID. They are actually protecting you.

I'm sorry but I do not see how bouncing good checks is good for me. I'm expecting them to provide me a letter and pay for any fees that are incurred because of this. How long should something like this take? They have had all my paperwork for 2 weeks now. I'd be less peeved if they only froze my credit cards, but this is my checking and savings accounts and my ability to pay my bills. I'm living on another credit card right now, but soon it will be time to pay that bill. My util % is already messed up because I wasn't able to pay bills before the statement dates. 

I understand the need to verify things, but the length of time this is taking seems ridiculous. 

Message 21 of 48
Claymore

I understand your frustration... but you MUST go to a branch in person. I didn't make the rules, just letting you know the only way to resolve this. The fine print says you must go to a branch to finish the process. I never said it was good for them to bounce good checks, but the fact of the matter is that they don't know who you are. Anybody can fax that info in. Go to a branch. I had the same problem... Go to a branch my friend. You must.

Starting Score: TU 669, EQ 660
Current Score: TU 669, EQ 660
Goal Score: 725

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 48
Claymore

It will not resolve until you go to a branch as required by NFCU policy. One visit and it is done... you won't have to go back again.

Message 23 of 48
Claymore

Good luck my friend!

Message 24 of 48
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not certain that it's a policy or rule. For certain there are faxes to be sent when you first subscribe (I had to anyway), but I had been a member for 5 months prior to even setting foot within any branch. I joined 3-4 months prior to pursuing a mortgage and didn't want to app for anything and didn't want to use my new checking with them out of fear there could be an underwriting issue if they found out about the account. So, I waited until we closed before using the checking, opening a CC, Navcheck, etc. The same applies to other accounts at other CUs like Penfed and NASA FCU. I never even visited their branches but I have a checking and savings (the share) at each.

I don't know where OP lives, but maybe the distance is too far. I happen to live a mile from the closest branch to our place but if you live out west, for example, you could end up commuting 5-6-7 hours to the nearest branch.

Message 25 of 48
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

I don't know where OP lives, but maybe the distance is too far. I happen to live a mile from the closest branch to our place but if you live out west, for example, you could end up commuting 5-6-7 hours to the nearest branch.

I am about 3 hours from the nearest branch. I faxed documents when I opened other accounts in the beginning. I faxed a lot more at the request of the fraud department. Now, I have yet to get a return phone call from the fraud department. I've left voice mails, sent online messages, and sent emails. The day they froze my accounts, over 2 weeks ago now, was the last I heard from anyone.

Message 26 of 48
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I would call every number you can find. Every department has a supervisor and every supervisor has a supervisor. I bet you'll find someone.

Message 27 of 48
Claymore

Sorry to say, it is a NFCU policy. You must go to a branch. I live out west. I live two hours from my nearest branch. I went through the same thing. You have to go to a branch. That's all I can tell you. I have no reason to lie about this. I am telling the truth. Something like that old saying comes to mind now: "You can lead a horse to water..." Have a nice day. Smiley Embarassed)

Message 28 of 48
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Claymore wrote:

Sorry to say, it is a NFCU policy. You must go to a branch. I live out west. I live two hours from my nearest branch. I went through the same thing. You have to go to a branch. That's all I can tell you. I have no reason to lie about this. I am telling the truth. Something like that old saying comes to mind now: "You can lead a horse to water..." Have a nice day. Smiley Embarassed)

Maybe this is a new policy enacted within the past year?

Message 29 of 48
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I can confirm that I have never been to an NFCU branch, although I could have gone easily while in FL where I applied for membership.  I don't specifically remember faxing them anything either.  If anything, I would have sent a copy of my leave and earnings statement.  I don't have any banking accounts with NFCU, only my credit card, but if this sort of thing happened to me, I would promptly close all of my accounts and take my business elsewhere.

To OP, are you eligible for membership?   Are you military or family?  If you are, there are other credit unions directed toward the military as well.  And USAA bank, which is awesome.  I prefer to do all of my banking with USAA.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.