Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU has it's own scores??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU has it's own scores??

Applied for NFCU secured card last week and was approved, applied for $1,000. 

Got the letter in the mail today that includes my credit score and any things they consider "adverse". The form says that my score is 214, and that is my "Navy Federal Score". It also says their range for scoring is 100-450. 

Has anyone else seen this? Why do they have their own separate scoring system?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU has it's own scores??

@Anonymous wrote:

Got the letter in the mail today that includes my credit score and any things they consider "adverse". The form says that my score is 214, and that is my "Navy Federal Score". It also says their range for scoring is 100-450. 

Because they can?  I've also heard it's loosely based on FICO 04 - So if you get scores from myFICO that's likely your best indicator

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because they can?  I've also heard it's loosely based on FICO 04 - So if you get scores from myFICO that's likely your best indicator

Thanks for the information; didn't know that.  Wish they would give scores like PenFed.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that, too, with Navy. PenFed uses their own score as well, but at least the scale is much more comparible to actual EQ
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my letter like that in the mail yesterday, which is why I'm searching the topic today. I thought it was really weird because that's usually what you get when you are denied for something. I had to keep checking my NFCU account to make sure that it said approved, lol. I haven't even received my card yet so I was thinking that this was def a denial. Checked my acct this morning and nope, the approval is still there.

Message 5 of 7
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for NFCU secured card last week and was approved, ... The form says that my score is 214, and that is my "Navy Federal Score". It also says their range for scoring is 100-450. 

Most financial institutions have their own internal scoring system, they just don't tell you about it.  Why did you think they ask you for informaiton not found on your credit reports, like income, fixed monthly expenses etc.?  

Your CRA ratings are only part of what they consider in their calculations.  

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Many creditors develop their own internal scorecards.

The main distinction between their internal scoring models and the major ones, such as FICO and Vantage, is their limited data.

Most rely only upon information obtained directly from the consumer or from the account history with that consumer, and are used primary for internal account reviews.

They normally do not have licensing agreements that permit their access to the huge national database of consumer history that has been developed by the big-3 major CRAs.

A typical example is scorecards developed to track eligibility for and amount of credit limits and credit limit increases or to trigger automated credit limit decreases.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.