Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYS Paid Tax Lien?

tag
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

NYS Paid Tax Lien?

Has anyone had success getting this removed from public record?  I tried to file a motion to vacate today, but was sent from one location to the next.  The clerk seemed clueless (as did I).

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: NYS Paid Tax Lien?

One of the issues in New York is, the state (itself) does not insert the information onto your credit report and has no duty to mess with it. Also, that section of the law includes a lot of stuff and seems vague. By vague, I mean it does nothing to clarify the kind of taxes the lien is related to.

My guess is those who have had luck with removal from Transunion, disputed it as a paid judgement. I've sent a PM to someone who had luck but it doesn't appear they visit the site anylonger.

I have one that fell off everywhere but TU at the 5 year mark. I'd like to dispute it but the on-line process limits number of characters. It falls off in April and I'm probably not making any major moves before then so it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I'm going to try a dispute again.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had luck with Equifax and Experian-disputing a paid jugment in NY and it being deleted.

I tried online with TU but was directed to submit it in writing. I think it got lost in the mail bc I never received a response.

I have already used my free annual credit report.

Any advice?

Message 4 of 14
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Can you tell me how you disputed with Equifax and Experian?  My judgement reports as paid/ satisfied and I haven't had any luck getting it deleted.  I have a copy of my Satisfaction of Judgement. 

Message 5 of 14
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Unfortunitly, it wouldn't be deleted. Not until 7 years from the date of the judgment. Now since you paid it and live in NY, its 5 years. Is it past the 5 years? If your CR is showing that it is satiisfied, then you are good and there is nothing you can do other than trying to get the plantiff to agree to getting it vacated. Sorry.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not true gymbo.

You can file a dispute online with the credit bureau(s) stating paid and sometimes that works. See a PP comment.

It can take up to 45 days to get a response.

Message 7 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Not true gymbo.

You can file a dispute online with the credit bureau(s) stating paid and sometimes that works. See a PP comment.

Would it be unethical to dispute it if it was inside the CRTP? I'm not certain if OP established that or not.

Message 8 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not true gymbo.

Would it be unethical to dispute it if it was inside the CRTP? I'm not certain if OP established that or not.

Isn't the difference between a paid tax lien and judgement pretty much a matter of semantics? If you owe back personal taxes, they get a judgement and put a lien on something like your future tax return. Looking at the law's language it seems more like sales or property taxes are being discussed.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 9 of 14
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

Unless there is something different between a regular judgement from a creditor and a tax lein, then the only thing that changes on your credit report is the judgment goes from 'not paid' to 'paid'.

Where is this written that you think a paid judgment automatically should come off? I never heard such a thing. You can dispute it all you want, the CRA will says verified. It is paid. What law says otherwise?

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.