Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Incorrect - Dispute?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name Incorrect - Dispute?

Hello All,

I have a collections account that is reporting my name incorrectly.  Both first and last name are spelled incorrectly.  Is this worth a dispute?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Name Incorrect - Dispute?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

I have a collections account that is reporting my name incorrectly.  Both first and last name are spelled incorrectly.  Is this worth a dispute?

You would need to first handle the collection as when they update and report it again your name will appear again as they have it. Settling it with the CA and having them correct your name in their files will stop any mis spellings then you can move to have the errored name removed from your file.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Name Incorrect - Dispute?

Whether it is "worth a dispute" depends upon what you expect the outcome to be.

Incorrect names can possible result in entry errors if they report updates and have a typo, for example, in your primary identifier, such as your SSN

Full name is one of the ways a CRA attempts to assure proper matching of reporting with the corrrect consumer file.

However, I would first contact them informally rather than filing a formal dispute.  Get the debt collector to update their records, and then do the same informally with the CRA.

If the expectation of a dispute, however, is to get the collection deleted based on such an inaccuracy, then it is not worth it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.