cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

For me:

1.  I look forward to checking the mail every day.  Just might be another First Premier prequal letter.  :-)

2.  I can answer my phone when unknown numbers call me.

3. The only time I use my debit card is to get cash from the ATM.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

@Anonymous wrote:

For me:

1.  I look forward to checking the mail every day.  Just might be another First Premier prequal letter.  :-)

2.  I can answer my phone when unknown numbers call me.

3. The only time I use my debit card is to get cash from the ATM.

I'll reiterate the second! I have a good deal fewer voicemails from numbers set to "ignore" on my phone!

I can apply for a loan, know exactly what is on my credit, and save everyone a heap of trouble! (Just did this, actually...)

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

This is a good thread.. 

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

i learned to live well below my means
Message 4 of 25
jbsea
Established Contributor

Great question!!!!!  My favorite is your number 2.  But lets see:  Old me, thought credit was just extra cash that i could spend till it was all used up.  If i was late paying that was ok.  if they let me over my limit.... well that was there fault.

New me (since I found these forums.... I never let my credit show over 10%  (well once because i didn't understand the statement date rule)  Never spend more then what I can pay off by the end of the month.  I check my accounts everyday, and cant wait to see my new credit score.  And like you said... never afraid to answer the phone.  I guess also i'm getting proud of who I have become and what I've accomblished since finding this.  I also cant wait to see how high I can get my score.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 5 of 25
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

1. Changing my mindset to focus on long-term goals instead of instant gratification.

2. Placing my finances and personal credit a #1 Priority

3. Being Proactive when it comes to taking care of business (take care of business and it will take care of you)

4. Seeing the Results of hard work motivates me to DO more!

5.  Stop making excuses and living in the past....take the bull by the horns and keep it moving!

Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can answer the phone and happy to get the mail.  Hoping to hear some good news, now I'm watch my score increase. 

Message 7 of 25
Infiniti515
Regular Contributor

@creditstalker wrote:

1. Changing my mindset to focus on long-term goals instead of instant gratification.

2. Placing my finances and personal credit a #1 Priority

3. Being Proactive when it comes to taking care of business (take care of business and it will take care of you)

4. Seeing the Results of hard work motivates me to DO more!

5.  Stop making excuses and living in the past....take the bull by the horns and keep it moving!

I agree with these and most of the others.  I love the confidence of applying and knowing it will get approved most of the time

i love that i have learned so much about credit that many dont even know or are misinformed about

i like that I am not DESPERATE to get  any card

i like lower interest on auto loans and credit cards

i love stalking myfico website!!!!!!! 

I love being responsible by keeping my spending low

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
i learned to live well below my means

^This.

Also, I sort of faced my fear. I was scared for a long time to even look at my report and when I finally did, I formed a plan to just get it fixed. I still have a long way to go, but I feel really proud of myself. I look forward to the day when I can confidently apply for credit without cringing from potential embarrassment, too. Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 25
surferchris
Valued Contributor

LOL, I agree with all of your points.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.