cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

I guess I started at the building part in 2012 and skipped the (re-) thankfully. With only 1 card I managed to avoid  baddies.  For many  years I  only  had 1 credit card and was happy with it...  lol... then I came across MyFico and learnt way too much on credit cards, got fascinated  and changed my debit card purchases to credit cards and started to collect rewards for something I had to pay anyhow. I love that now I get rewards where with my debit cards I did not get me a dime.  I just  wish I had come across this forum way before because I could only imagine where my credit could be if I did not start soooooo  late in my life.

Oh well... better late than never  Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Name some ways you life has changed since you started rebuilding your credit.

This journey has enabled me to GROW UP, and greater appreciate:

• the IMPORTANCE of self (financial) preservation...
  • the significance of fiscal action plans (+ patience/gardening)

I now embrace my financial life, wholeheartedly, not in part*.

Still trying to figure out this "balance" thing though (^o^)

*I'd made some efforts during college, and then promptly walked away from the table, lol. Thankfully it didn't result in any damages, only missed opportunities!

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thread! Thanks to the OP. My responses will mimic those of many others but....

I don't feel like I'm hiding and that includes hiding from myself! I was afraid to look and to know what was in my file because I'd been so irresponsible. I had no one to teach me and so I made every credit mistake imaginable. But finding this forum has been wonderful! I started rebuilding in January and have learned lots.

I'm not accepting just ANY offer. I evaluate and toss. Before it was more like "you want me to have a credit card even though there an annual fee of $99 and other random fees that will only leave me an available credit of $20 before I even swipe the card?....ok! Let's do it!" Yeah...not anymore. Lol

I actually use the cards I have instead of abusing them. I make them work for me (hello QS1 card with nearly $30 in rewards after my first month)

I have a greater financial awareness. At this stage, I know better, so I'm doing better. (And enjoying the score climb with each new triumph!)

I'm also an official score stalker now. Lol
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. I can travel for business and not worry about things like CC holds at hotels
  2. I have money saved up for emergencies, the water heater is no longer an evil entity waiting to eat me
  3. I can just 'do' things... wife and I are stressed? A nice weekend out of town is doable. Always a little money set aside for things like this, and always a CC open with high limit and 0% APR intro period.
  4. Confidence.... nothing more precious than confidence.
Message 24 of 25
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

• I am fully informed on my financial picture/health
  • I can rent a car or book a hotel without worry about having no credit cards
  • I know my rights with regards to debts and won't be bullied
  • I can earn rewards on all my purchases
  • I answer my phone without worry
  • I have educated myself on other financial things in the process - Roth IRAs and investments
  • I feel good about having a solid rebuilding plan in place

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.