Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Luck

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Luck

I was able to open an account with Navy Federal Credit Union.

I started the membership application on-line using the membershipdocs@navyfederal.org. 

Then Security asked me to go into the branch and finish the account opening process and get the Debit Card and fund the account.

I applied for the Credit Card and was denied instantly but, I checked my Equifax report and don't see an inquiry. Is there any other report they check? I also applied for the CLOC.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Luck

They pulled TU and EQ for our card so check your TU. Rarely they will pull EX
Message 2 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Can I ask what your TU score was at the time? 

I was near a branch last week and was drooling pretty good. I made it out of the city without app'ing...  weeeeeeeeeee.

Sorry to hear about the denial, could be something easy to overcome.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

Can I ask what your TU score was at the time? 

I was near a branch last week and was drooling pretty good. I made it out of the city without app'ing...  weeeeeeeeeee.

Sorry to hear about the denial, could be something easy to overcome.

503 I think. My scores have dropped because, I closed my Capital One Secured/BOA secured (stupid) I know.

So now, I'm rebounding my score after that mistake.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy,  I didn't quite understand how you opened the account.  You provided what appears to be an email, did you email them about opening an account instead of submitting the application online? 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous.

Navy FCU has the option for potential members to apply for membership online.  If there is some difficulty with verifying one's identity, then they require that you go into a branch close to you to finish the process.  In my case, had there have been problems, then I would have had to go 350 miles to finish the process which means that I would have been unable to join.

As of 5/12, Navy FCU no longer allows potential members to join via NLUS-San Diego.  Below is the thread created in Personal Finance addressing their change.  Myself and others were able to join using this route, but all that has changed going forward. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-Navy-Fed-no-longer-allowing-new-membership-through-Navy/td-p/4947814

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, Thank you for the clarification.   I did visit their website to submit an application for membership, however I don't meet the qualifications.  I have no direct relationship to military nor thru DOD employment.  

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, Thank you for the clarification.   I did visit their website to submit an application for membership, however I don't meet the qualifications.  I have no direct relationship to military nor thru DOD employment.  

You're welcome.

I was fortunate to be able to join when you could use Navy League.  Given the new criteria for NFCU, I would be able to join as a household member of a discharged veteran, but my BF would have had to become a member first.  The irony of the situation is that he joined through my membership last year when it was not open to armed service members unless your affiliation was naval.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

503 I think. My scores have dropped because, I closed my Capital One Secured/BOA secured (stupid) I know.

So now, I'm rebounding my score after that mistake.

Welcome to NFCU.     I'm not sure about scores for the CC products, but you DTI and UTI will play a huge factor.  Everyones credit profile is different, but i have seen low 500 scores with good DTI and UTI, get better approvals then some others with higher scores but higher DTI as well.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.