Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need 26 more points.. Help!

tag
Kbrown1022
Valued Member

Need 26 more points.. Help!

OK.. So I have already managed to go from 606 to 632 this month, but I need 26 more points for a home loan. Please let me know how to maximize points from what I have left on credit cards.

Kohls (CL 3,000) Current balance 587.53

Express (CL 3,500) Current balance 750.75

American (CL 4,200) Current balance 2194.64

Limited (CL 2,330) Current balance 489.33

Citi (CL 4,630) Current balance 813.32

BoA (CL 8,400) Current balance 1765.25

Rogers & Hollands (CL 1,900) Current balance 1410.29

Chase (CL 0) Current balance 61.00

Next month I was planning on paying everything to 0 except BoA and American. American is at 0% interest for a furniture purchase. I was going to pay BoA to below 10% utilization.

Right now I am waiting for the Chase to show 0. That was interest left over from the prior month. Am I right to think this will give me a decent boost?

Any helpful hints?? Much appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Need 26 more points.. Help!

Getting to where you only have one card with a balance will make a huge difference.  

Message 2 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Addressing your UTIL could give you the points you need by itself. I would try and get all down to zero, except one between 1-9%.

Message 3 of 9
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@msf12555 wrote:

Addressing your UTIL could give you the points you need by itself. I would try and get all down to zero, except one between 1-9%.

+1

I agree with what everyone else said. You'll see a jump big time if you do that.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 9
Kbrown1022
Valued Member

Is there a need to pay down that American card? Will having one card around 50% really hurt me? I just hate to pay it since its 0% interest.

Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Kbrown1022 wrote:

OK.. So I have already managed to go from 606 to 632 this month, but I need 26 more points for a home loan. Please let me know how to maximize points from what I have left on credit cards.

Kohls (CL 3,000) Current balance 587.53

Express (CL 3,500) Current balance 750.75

American (CL 4,200) Current balance 2194.64 This card is over 50% UTL pay down but pay off would be better (step 2)

Limited (CL 2,330) Current balance 489.33

Citi (CL 4,630) Current balance 813.32

BoA (CL 8,400) Current balance 1765.25

Rogers & Hollands (CL 1,900) Current balance 1410.29 This may get you some quick nice points (step 1)

This account is causing a scoring ding twice ........once for UTL and again for being maxed out.

Pay it off first if possible and then get the rest of UTL under control

Chase (CL 0) Current balance 61.00

Next month I was planning on paying everything to 0 except BoA and American. American is at 0% interest for a furniture purchase. I was going to pay BoA to below 10% utilization.

Right now I am waiting for the Chase to show 0. That was interest left over from the prior month. Am I right to think this will give me a decent boost?

Any helpful hints?? Much appreciated!

I'd be willing to bet correct those 2 problems first and you would see a good jump in scores

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 9
diebadcredit6504
Regular Contributor

@Whitneyy wrote:

@msf12555 wrote:

+1

I agree with what everyone else said. You'll see a jump big time if you do that.

I concur!

EX - 522 (Oct 2013) 695 (May 2014)

TU FICO - 580 (Oct 2013) 680 (May 2014)

EQ - 509 - (Oct 2013) 672 (May 2014)
Message 7 of 9
Kbrown1022
Valued Member

Is it more important to get those 2 cards with the highest utilization paid off, vs. tackling all the smaller balances? I just paid off over 20K the past month, so I am running seriously short of cash.

Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Kbrown1022 wrote:

Is it more important to get those 2 cards with the highest utilization paid off, vs. tackling all the smaller balances? I just paid off over 20K the past month, so I am running seriously short of cash.

Yes but you can only pay what you can pay nowSmiley Wink

So knock out what you can but those 2 should become a prime target as soon as you can afford to if your looking for quick points.

Forum trick 

Quoting a post.......

Click reply under the message you wish to respond to

Top right hand corner 

Click quote 

Enter response 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.