Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice ASAP!

tag
kaymom
Contributor

Need Advice ASAP!

I received a medical bill last year on August 28, 2012. I contacted the office and spoke directly to the OBGYN. She said that she was trying to collect on old accounts. The total of the bill I received is $137.19. I asked her for a break down or detail bill. Over the phone she said that I left a balance of $30.00 from 2007 and $70.94 from 2009. She mailed me a detailed bill and the total is for $108.68. The charges says 2009, there is nothing that says 2007. So, since I felt there is some

discrepancies somewhere, I failed/refused to pay it.

I received a collection letter this weekend from American Credit Bureau, Inc. that says I have 30 days to respond. How should I handle this? Is this past the statue of limitations? I'm willing to pay what I rightfully owe, but I have two different statements from the same office with different amounts. Should I ask for a settelement? I just don't want this to report on my CR.

Thank you all in advance for your help with this matter.

A Fresh Start
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Advice ASAP!

I'd mail the CA a DV letter. You have to do it within the 30 days.

Past SOL? Depends on your state and it depends on the date of service. IMO, SOL doesn't matter here at all unless you cannot get ahold of funds to pay the balance claimed by the CA. SOL is the time frame for them to sue and it's unlikely they'd sue so soon or even sue for such a small amount. 

Send the DV and wait to see what they say. If you think you might owe $$$, then certainly call the OC to see if you can get the CA's claimed balance and the OC's balance to match. 

Message 2 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You have a couple ways you can handle this.

1.  Send a DV.  This would be a timely DV and would stop collection activity until they validate it.  This could give you time to deal with the OC if that is the way you want to go.

2.  Do a modified PFD stating you will pay if they will not report it to the CSRs.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@kaymom wrote:

I received a medical bill last year on August 28, 2012. I contacted the office and spoke directly to the OBGYN. She said that she was trying to collect on old accounts. The total of the bill I received is $137.19. I asked her for a break down or detail bill. Over the phone she said that I left a balance of $30.00 from 2007 and $70.94 from 2009. She mailed me a detailed bill and the total is for $108.68. The charges says 2009, there is nothing that says 2007. So, since I felt there is some

discrepancies somewhere, I failed/refused to pay it.

I received a collection letter this weekend from American Credit Bureau, Inc. that says I have 30 days to respond. How should I handle this? Is this past the statue of limitations? I'm willing to pay what I rightfully owe, but I have two different statements from the same office with different amounts. Should I ask for a settelement? I just don't want this to report on my CR.

Thank you all in advance for your help with this matter.

Hi Kaymom, I'm not sure what state you are in and what the states SOL is. If you offer a settlement they could report the unpaid portion on your CR. I would PIF and ask not to report. If possible try to get it in writing from the CA. 

DaBears

Message 4 of 8
kaymom
Contributor

Thank you all for your prompt response. I called the OC on 05-23-2013, the receptionist said she was new that she would talk with the doctor and call me back. She never did and that's when I got bill out of mail this weekend.

I have never did a DV letter before. Do anyone have any links or where I can find information on how to word the letter. I want to get this in the mail today.

Thanks again!

A Fresh Start
Message 5 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

This is all they need. 

"I pulled my credit bureau report, and I discovered that you claim I owe you a debt. Under FDCPA 809 send me validation of this debt."

Message 6 of 8
kaymom
Contributor

Here's the thing, they haven't reported to the CR yet.

A Fresh Start
Message 7 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Scratch my last post lol...Sorry kaymom Smiley Embarassed 

As llecs and shogun stated send off a DV CMRRR and wait for a response.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.