Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice For Rebuild Strategy

tag
tnvols
New Contributor

Need Advice For Rebuild Strategy

Lurking and reading for awhile and wanted to thank the contributors for all the advice.  It has been very encouraging and I believe that every single high school senior should have to take a semester in credit, banking, and financial studies.  We are just finishing up a 5 year Chapter 13 with just 2 payments to go.  We were caught way too deep in debt when the recession hit.  Had to BK in order to escape a $100k negative equity in our home and some back taxes, really only had a few thousand in revolving debt. 

Wife and I now have scores ranging from 617 up to 675.  Pretty clean reports other than the Chp 13 filing after I've done some disputing and general cleaning up.  The negative factors are showing a lack of diversity of accounts, average account age of 8 months, and zero revolving accounts open.  TU is showing about the same accounts but has us at 617 area for some reason.  We are actually in great financial  shape right now with combined annual gross income around $125k.  Our only debt is my wife's new $20k car loan that we got trustee permission to purchase.  We used our credit union to purchase with 20% down and got a 6% rate.  We actually pay one year in advance to our CU savings account that the payment draws from.  Our DTI is very low with $750/mo rent and my vehicle and boat already paid for.  We rent a large house from her grandparents and we plan to buy it when the time is right to get the best rate.  We have paid the mortgage payments every month from our checking account for the past 5 years straight.  For all the money and sweat equity I have invested in the house, I have no choice but to buy it. 

Last trustee payment will be made in September and we should be discharged by November.  I'm sure my credit union will hook me up with a cc, might need to be secured...they offer both.  Is it reasonable to seek out 4 credit cards to start with?  Do I bring in the wife as joint cardholder or does she apply seperately for each?  What about adding each to the other one's accounts as AU?  My plan was to pursue the following:

CapOne QS or Platinum, but will take secured if necessary.

Discover It Secured

NFCU nRewards or Secured, just joined with $25 to a savings account.  Sister was my sponsor.     

Achieva CU, holds my auto loan and we have a great history with them.  They offer secured and unsecured cards. 

I could care less about rates or rewards because I only plan to charge a couple times per month to each card and pay off immediately so they stay active.  Currently only have 2 inquiries, both from Nov 2016 for our existing auto loan.  There is also a possibility of relatives adding us a AU on existing accounts to add some age if you think it would be necessary.  We have no use for the credit cards other than to build scores for great mortgage and car rates in the future.  I also have a chance to buy my boss out when he retires in a few years so I need to be rock solid for an SBA loan down the road. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I still have about 4 months before I can seek out any new credit.

Oct 2017 Scores MyFICO FICO 8

Equifax 633
TU 582 (Suck it TU)
Experian 615

July 2018 Scores MYFICO 8
Equifax 700
TU 674
Experian 689

November 2019 Scores(24 mos post CH13 discharge) MYFICO 8
Equifax 783
TU 799
Experian 794
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice For Rebuild Strategy

Navy Fed. Has great option s...I personally like secured CC...cause you set your CL $$$

Sounds like you have some cash socked away

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.