cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice: Worth it to pay the difference on a settled charge off to update as paid in full

tag
Diegan_Sailor
Established Member

Need Advice: Worth it to pay the difference on a settled charge off to update as paid in full

Long story short, I messed up after getting out of the military in 2008 and did not keep up on a loan I was paying with an allotment. It was eventually reported as a charge off on my credit report. In 2012 I was trying to buy a house and needed to address it. I was able to work out a settlement which would be reported a paid charge off/ settlment Balance zero. Which I paid and they did report as settlement.

I got the house, and have had a lot of credit rebuilding success (Mainly thanks to myfico board backdoor numbers, and NFCU) but I still have a charge off on my credit. I sent a nice email yesterday asking if I could pay the difference between the settlement and the what they showed as the full amount. A nice rep called today and said that If I paid the difference ($2400.00), they would update my report to paid in full.

The date of first major delinquency is 1/2009 with the last payment being 2/2012.

Of course I wont make a move until it is all in writting, but I wanted to know if you guys think its worth it or is the damage too far done and not worth it,

Currently: NFCU cash rewards 10k, NFCU LOC 10k, Barclay Apple 5k, Amazon Visa Rewards 3k, Captial one quicksilver 1k, capital only platinum 1k, USAA Amex classic 1k,
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
growing123
Regular Contributor

Re: Need Advice: Worth it to pay the difference on a settled charge off to update as paid in full

@Diegan_Sailor wrote:

Long story short, I messed up after getting out of the military in 2008 and did not keep up on a loan I was paying with an allotment. It was eventually reported as a charge off on my credit report. In 2012 I was trying to buy a house and needed to address it. I was able to work out a settlement which would be reported a paid charge off/ settlment Balance zero. Which I paid and they did report as settlement.

I got the house, and have had a lot of credit rebuilding success (Mainly thanks to myfico board backdoor numbers, and NFCU) but I still have a charge off on my credit. I sent a nice email yesterday asking if I could pay the difference between the settlement and the what they showed as the full amount. A nice rep called today and said that If I paid the difference ($2400.00), they would update my report to paid in full.

The date of first major delinquency is 1/2009 with the last payment being 2/2012.

Of course I wont make a move until it is all in writting, but I wanted to know if you guys think its worth it or is the damage too far done and not worth it,

An expert can chime in, but I don't think they can accept money on an account they considered 'settled'.  Once settled, the account has been disposed, so there shouldn't be any balance to collect.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in!  Smiley Wink

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 2 of 5
Diegan_Sailor
Established Member

Re: Need Advice: Worth it to pay the difference on a settled charge off to update as paid in full

I agree and they have not contacted me since they accepted the settlement. I reached out to them to see if I could PFD, they offered to report PIF as an option.

Currently: NFCU cash rewards 10k, NFCU LOC 10k, Barclay Apple 5k, Amazon Visa Rewards 3k, Captial one quicksilver 1k, capital only platinum 1k, USAA Amex classic 1k,
Message 3 of 5
growing123
Regular Contributor

@Diegan_Sailor wrote:

I agree and they have not contacted me since they accepted the settlement. I reached out to them to see if I could PFD, they offered to report PIF as an option.

I would be contacting them for a GW removal since the account is paid/settled...and it was paid two years ago, so they might. 

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@growing123 wrote:

@Diegan_Sailor wrote:

I would be contacting them for a GW removal since the account is paid/settled...and it was paid two years ago, so they might. 

I agree...i probally would leave it alone and just GW them every month...but as you stated if you really want it off and they put all that  in writing then pay it ....if it were me i would do what growing123 said

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.